97th Regiment, Ohio InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 97th Regiment, Ohio Infantry was organized at Zanesville, Ohio, September 1, 1862. At the end of its service it was moved to Nashville, Tennessee and had duty there till June. It mustered out June 10, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 97th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 97th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 5 September 2012)..
- 97th Ohio Infantry article on Wikipedia gives a brief history of the unit, including places served, battles fought, and commanders.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- 97th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databaseswspaper articles and Internet sites with information about the th Ohio Infantry.
- 97th Ohio Infantry, compiled by Larry Stevens, lists books.
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 97th (1861-1865). Roster, history, constitution and by-laws of the 97th Ohio Volunteer Infantry regimental association. FHL Film 1688773 Item 4 and Constitution, by-laws and roster of the 97th Ohio Volunteer Infantry regimental association. FHL film 1688773 Item 3 (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) and Roster, history, constitution and by-laws of the 97th O. V. I. Regimental Association. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118248
- This page was last modified on 1 April 2014, at 14:25.
- This page has been accessed 2,022 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More