99th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at South Bend, Indiana, and mustered in October 21, 1862.
It march to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 20 and Grand Review May 24. They mustered out June 6, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 99th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 99th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men fromLake County - see Roster on page 532
- Company B - many men from Hancock County - see Roster on page 533
- Company C - many men from Benton, and Porter counties - see Roster on page 535
- Company D - many men from Miami County - see Roster on page 536
- Company E - many men from Newton, Jasper, Crawford and Carroll counties - see Roster on page 538
- Company F- many men from Cass, White and Tippecanoe counties - see Roster on page 539
- Company G - many men from White and Hendricks counties - see Roster on page 540
- Company H - many men fromMarion,Randolph and Hendricks counties - see Roster on page 542
- Company I - many men from Putnam , Howard, and Miami counties - see Roster on page 543
- Company K - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 544
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 546
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 99th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry was organized within the Ninth Congressional District.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Cox, Charles Harding (1st Lt.), "'Gone for a Soldier': The Civil War Letters of Charles Harding Cox" [1 of 2] ( ed. Lorna Lutes Sylvester, Indiana Magazine of History 68, no. 1 (March 1972): 24-78.) 1862-1863, Marion County (Indianapolis) , 70th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. E Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 4 Apr 2011)
- Cox, Charles Harding (1st Lt.), "'Gone for a Soldier': The Civil War Letters of Charles Harding Cox" [2 of 2] (ed. Lorna Lutes Sylvester, Indiana Magazine of History 68, no. 3 (September 1972): 181-239.) 1864-1865, Marion County (Indianapolis) , 70th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. E Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 4 Apr 2011)
- 99th Regiment - Lucas, D.R., New History of the 99th Indiana Infantry (Rockford, Ill.: Horner Printing, 1900) FHL US/CAN Film 1550171 FHL Collection other library Internet Archive Google books
- Lucas, Daniel R. History of the 99th Indiana Infantry, Containing a Diary of Marches, Incidents, Biography of Officers and Complete Rolls. (Lafayette, Ind: Rosser & Spring, printers, 1865.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084427 (2 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries
- Daughters of the American Revolution, Roster of the 99th Indiana Infantry for the annual reunion to be held at Crown Point, Indiana : on Wednesday and Thursday, September 3, and 4, '90 977.2 A1 no. 35 FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collection
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,284 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki