9th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Laporte, Indiana, September 5, 1861. They mustered out September 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 9th Regiment Infantry (3 Years), (accessed 27 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 9th Indiana Infantry Regiment, (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - many men from Carroll County - see Roster on page 38
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier of Carroll County - see Roster on page 129
- Company B - many men from La Porte and Porter county - see Roster on page 39
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier of La Porte, Porter, White, Perry, Riplet,Morgan and other counties - see Roster on page 132
- Company C - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 40
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier of Elkhart, Randolph, and Hancock counties - see Roster on page 134
- Company D - many men fromDelaware County - see Roster on page 41
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier of Marshall, Pulaski, Shelby, and Tippecanoe counties - see Roster on page 137
- Company E - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 43
- Company E - Reorganized Soldier of Lake, Porter, Fayette , and Steuben counties - see Roster on page 139
- Company F - many men from La Porte County - see Roster on page 44
- Company F - Reorganized Soldier of La Porte and Elkhart counties - see Roster on page 142
- Company G - many men from Jasper County - see Roster on page 45
- Company G - Reorganized Soldier of Jasper, Fulton, DeKalb, Newton, Tippecanoe, and La Porte counties - see Roster on page 144
- Company H - many men from Porter County - see Roster on page 46
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier of Porter, La Porte, and Lake counties - see Roster on page 147
- Company I - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 47
- Company I - Reorganized Soldier of St. Joseph County - see Roster on Cass_County,_Indiana page 149
- Company K - many men from Cass County- see Roster on page 48
- Company K - Reorganized Soldier of Cass County - see Roster on page 151
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 154
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 9th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier of Fountain County 
- Company H, and K - many men from Randolph County 
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief History on the 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) articile on the 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 9th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Company E (accessed 08 Dec 2010) A Historical Reenactment Association Portraying Union Soldiers from Northwest Indiana.
- Company "I", Ninth regiment, Indiana infantry volunteers, thee year (accessed 01 Jan 2011) was principally made up from St Joseph country. On page 718 on this book, give person from St. Joseph Country. Howard, Timothy Edward, A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 ) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 FHL 1550208 Other libraries with this book
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Montgomery County In The War Of The Rebellion" in Beckwith, H. W., P. S. Kennedy, and Thomas Fleming Davidson. 1970. History of Fountain County, together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley: gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscripts, private and official correspondence, and other authentic sources. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic), (second book, page 49, Regiment, Companies, Roll of Officers and then Enlisted Men.)977.247 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE
- ↑ "Militay" Chapter 20 in Tucker, E. 1882. History of Randolph County, Indiana: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers: to which are appended maps of its several townships. (Chicago: A.L. Klingman.), (page 238-296, Regiment, Company, some Name's), 977.266 H2t FHL US/CAN Large Q Book FHL Collection other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE
- This page was last modified on 3 August 2013, at 01:22.
- This page has been accessed 3,693 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki