9th Regiment, South Carolina ReservesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 9th Regiment, South Carolina Reserves was one of ten regiments of the 1st Corps of Reserves. It was in service from Novembe 5, 1862 to February 17, 1863. See Robert S. Seigler's book for more detail.
Other sources says this about the 9th Regiment Reserves: The 9th Regiment, South Carolina Reserves was organized in April 1861 for a one year term of service. Many of the men were recruited in Lancaster, Dillon, Kershaw, and Lexington counties. Sent to Virginia, it was assigned to General D.R. Jones' Brigade, Department of Northern Virginia. In April 1862, the regiment disbanded, but many of the officers and men joined other South Carolina commands.The 9th Regiment Reserves served mainly as pickets (guards) and drilling in preparation for a Federal invasion in Charleston.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company G - Roster
Company H - Roster
- "South Carolina Reserave Regiments - 9th South Carolina Reserve Regiment". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson’s Internet site, accessed 12/27/2010. This Internet site gives the dates.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Lists a few officers, sometimes dates and company names.
- Hewett, Janet B., ed. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Wilmington, North Carolina: Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001. FHL book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 64 & 65. Lists officers, companies, some nicknames for the companies and dates involving the company and places where they were stationed. There are 10 Companies (A-I, K) listed. Available at these libraries: Worldcat.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 175-177. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Battalion served with.
- ↑ Joseph H. Crute. Units of the Confederate States Army. (Midlothian, Virginia : Derwent Books, c1987).FHL book 973 M2crua. Available at National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed December 2010).
- ↑ "9th Infantry Reserves". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/22/2010. Lists a brief regiment history.
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2013, at 01:27.
- This page has been accessed 779 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More