Abbots Bromley, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Uttoxeter PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1668|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
BROMLEY, ABBOTS (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Uttoxeter, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 12½ miles (E.) from Stafford, and 130 (N. W. by N.) from London; there is a place of worship for Independents.
Abbots Bromley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Bagots Bromley and Bromley Hurst.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Abbots Bromley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|ABBOTS BROMLEY PARISH (1558) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1558-1961 Mar 1558-1992 Bur 1558-1992
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap1668-1859 Mar 1668-1859 Bur 1668-1859 Missing 1814,1821,1852-1853 all events
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire FreeREG and can be searched for free.
The following MIs were kindly contributed by Alf Beard:
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474623.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 22 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 14 March 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 19 August 2014, at 19:15.
- This page has been accessed 2,338 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki