Abbreviations Lists for Personal Names (English)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Alphabetical lists of personal name abbreviations and what they represent.
Problem: We often find an abbreviation for a person's name in an old source and need to know what name it represents. Or, we know the name, but wonder how it might be abbreviated in an index or database.
Solution: Use a wiki list of abbreviations for personal names like the one listed below. Add to it anytime you find additional abbreviations and figure out what names they represent.
Value. Such a list will expand as users add to it. Also, it can be searched ([Ctrl] F) for the full name in order to learn possible abbreviations.
- List of abbreviations for English given names - Wikipedia http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Abbreviations_for_English_given_names
- Old Style Abbreviations - Proper Names - shows handwriting images http://www.amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/x-prop.html
- Real Names and Abbreviations includes many Latin abbreviations http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/realnames.htm
Family History Library Resources
- Kip Sperry, Abbreviations & Acronyms: A Guide for Family Historians, rev. ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2003) [US/CAN REF AREA 929.103 Sp37a 2003]
- Jennifer Mossman, Acronyms, Initialisms, and Abbreviations Dictionary, 19th ed. (Detroit, Mich.: Gale Research, 1995) [FHL US/CAN book 428.1 M855a]
- This page was last modified on 18 August 2009, at 22:59.
- This page has been accessed 12,529 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki