Acaster Malbis, YorkshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Acaster Malbis, Yorkshire|
|Poor Law Union||York PLU|
|Parish registers: 1693|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1631|
|Rural Deanery||New Ainsty|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
ACASTER-MALBIS (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of York, partly in the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, E. riding, of York, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from York; containing 748 inhabitants, of whom 322 are in the township of Acaster-Malbis. 
Records from York Registration District held at York are included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search. Each indexed marriage entry provides researchers with the name of the precise parish or chapel in which the marriage occurred.
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Online data content from chapelry registers of Acaster Mabis exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|IARC = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|ACASTER MALBIS (1666) Online Records|
|| 1666, 1720-1847
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding **Chapelry** and comprising the whole ancient parish of Acaster Malbis to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the Acaster Malbis page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1631.
Deposited records held at Borthwick Institute University of York include:
Baptisms: 1694-1949 Marriages: 1694-1977 Burials: 1693-1979
1631, 1635-1639, 1661-1673, 1675-1677, 1679, 1680, 1683-1690, 1692,1696, 1698-1777, 1779-1783, 1785, 1788-1854, 1857-1861, 1864, 1865, 1870, 1871 (transcribed from the Institute catalogue)
The International Genealogical Index coverage was for Christenings 1720-1871 and marriages 1720-1837 (batch number year range)
Link to the Family History Library film numbers in their collection Acaster Malbis
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464295.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 5-9. Adapted. Date accessed: 20 September 2013.
- ↑ 'West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 10 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 27 June 2014, at 15:14.
- This page has been accessed 4,087 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki