Adams County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a southwestern Mississippi county. For other uses, see Adams.
Guide to Adams County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Adams County, Mississippi|
|Founded||1799 from the Natchez District|
|Address|| Adams County Court House
Circuit Clerk (601) 446-6326 Natchez, MS 39120 Natchez City Hall (601) 445-7500 Natchez, MS 39120
Adams County Courthouse
115 S Wall St; PO Box 1008
Natchez, MS 39120;
Clerk Chancery Court has court, land and probate records. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and death records. 
1799--Adams County was created 2 April 1799 from the Natchez District.
County seat: Natchez 
- Adams County, Mississippi, Slave Certificates, 1858-1861($) - a collection of slave certificates from the Adams County Courthouse. Slave information may include name, gender, color, age and weight.
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Adams County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Adams County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Men from Adams County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Adams County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company B - Natchez Southrons [also listed as Co. C]
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company H - Connor Battery
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Natchez Fencibles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adams County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Adams County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Adams County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Finding Tax Records at Other Repositories
Additional tax records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adams County, Mississippi Tax Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see FHL Catalog Place-name Search).
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1799-1819 - Adams County Marriage Book 1 Index 1799-1819. Batch M516691 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1819-1826 - Adams County Marriage Books 2 thru 4 Index 1819-1826. Batch M516692 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1826-1835 - Adams County Marriage Book 5 Index 1826-1835. Batch M516693 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1835-1851 - Adams County Marriage Book 6 Index 1835-1851. Batch M516694 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1860 - Adams County Marriage Books 7A and 7B Index 1851-1860. Batch M516695 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1873 - Adams County Marriage Books 8 and 9 Index 1860-1873. Batch M516696 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1885 - Adams County Marriage Books 10 thru 12 Index 1875-1885. Batch M516704 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1895 - Adams County Marriage Books 13 and 14 Index 1892-1895. Batch M516705 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1870 - Adams County Marriage Books 18 and 19 Index 1866-1870. Batch M516698 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1874 - Adams County Marriage Books 20 and 21 Index 1870-1874. Batch M516699 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1880 - Adams County Marriage Books 22 and 23 Index 1874-1880. Batch M516701 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1885 - Adams County Marriage Books 24 and 25 Index 1880-1885. Batch M516702 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885 - Adams County Marriage Books 26 and 27 Index 1885. Batch M516703 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1890 - Adams County Marriage Books 26 and 27 Index 1886-1890. Batch M516706 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1893 - Adams County Marriage Books 28 and 29 Index 1890-1893. Batch M516707 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1895 - Adams County Marriage Books 30 and 31 Index 1892-1895. Batch M516708 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1835-1905 - Adams County Death Index 1835-1905. Batch B735128 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1857-1909 - Natchez Death Index 1857-1909. Batch B735084 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adams County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 01:44.
- This page has been accessed 2,431 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More