Adams County, Wisconsin GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Adams County Wisconsin genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about a central Wisconsin county. For other uses, see Adams.
|Adams County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||March 11, 1848|
|Address|| Adams County Courthouse|
400 Main Street
Friendship WI 53934
Phone (608) 339-4200
Adams County Website
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
- 1855 Wisconsin State Census— Free Internet indexed images to the 1855 Wisconsin State Census can be searched on the FamilySearch Record Search. This census includes name of head of family, individuals in the household by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1885 Wisconsin State Census FamilySearch Record Search Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wisconsin denominations, view the Wisconsin Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Adams County, Wisconsin Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Wisconsin Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wisconsin Land and Property for additional information about early Wisconsin land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Civil War service men from Adams County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Adams County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company A
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company D
- - 12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company E
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
Finding More Wisconsin Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adams County, Wisconsin Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Adams County, Wisconsin Genealogy Clerk of Circuit Court and are housed at the Adams County, Wisconsin Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Wisconsin Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, and adoptions.
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Adams County Historical Society & Historic McGowan House / Archives
PO Box 264
507 Main Street
Friendship, WI, 53934
Hales Corners Historical Society
5885 South 116th Street
Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130
Phone:(414) 529-6150 ext. 24
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Wisconsin tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned property or other items that could be taxed were listed, some residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records. For more information see the Wiki page, Wisconsin Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Most counties started keeping records in the 1870s. In 1907, the counties began sending copies to the state. See also How to order Wisconsin Vital Records or order electronically online.
For additional information on how to acquire the records, see the Wiki page, Wisconsin Vital Records.
For pre-1907 births, deaths, and marriages, search the Wisconsin Genealogy Index.
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1860, marriage records from 1859, death records from 1873 and land records from 1853; Clerk Court has divorce and court records; Registrar in Probate has probate records. 
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Adams County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Adams County, Wisconsin, p.755
- This page was last modified on 18 November 2015, at 01:52.
- This page has been accessed 20,388 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News