Aghagallon, AntrimEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Aghagallon. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.
Aghagallon (also spelled: Aghagallen or Aughagallon), is a parish in the Barony of Upper Massareene. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and is part of the union of Magheramesk.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or distract called Ballinderry, which comprises the parishes of Aghagallen, Aghalee, Ballinderry, and Magheramesk, and contains two chapels, one of of which is in this parish.
Contiguous parishes are: Aghalee, Ballinderry, and Glenavy. Aghagallon is within the boundary of the Poor Law Union of Lurgan. The probate district for this area is Belfast.
To discover the townlands that are within this parishes boundaries go to the following website:
Maps and gazetteers
Website: www.irishtimes.com/ancestor Includes Roman Catholic parish maps. Also http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/. provides access to A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837. Read more about maps and gazetteers.
There is a graveyard in the town of Aghagallon and there is also a graveyard in the town of Derrymore. The following website will provide information about the cemetery at Aghagallon, http://www.lurganancestry.com/aghagalloncem.htm.
The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.
Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.
Read general information about church records.
The Roman Catholic Parish of Aghagallon and Ballinderry has records of baptism, marriage, and death beginning in 1828. There missing dates : July 1848 to May 1872. Record availability is as follows: Original registers are in local custody. The National Library of Ireland has a microfilm copy the original register. Following are the particulars: Baptisms cover April 1, 1828 to December 20, 1880; Marriages cover May 25 1828 to November 8, 1880 and Burials are available from March 29, 1828 to July 5, 1848 and May 25 1872 to December 25 1880. The reference for these records is: Pos. 5467. The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland has copies of records for this parish as well. Baptisms: 1828-1889; Marriages: 1828-1889; Burials are available 1828-1846 and 1873-1881. The reference for this set of records is MIC. 1D/6.63. Lastly, the Ulster Historical Foundation has available Baptism records 1828-1900, Marriage records 1828-1900 and Burial records 1828-1900.
Church of Ireland
Records covering Aghagallon parish are found in the parish registers of Aghalee: baptisms 1811-1881, marriages 1811-1866, and burials 1811-1874. The records are kept at the Public Record Office, Northern Ireland.
The Parish Church of Aghalee also serves the civil parishes of Aghagallon and Magheramesk. Ecclesiastically, the three are one united Church of Ireland parish. The name of the church is Holy Trinity.
Augallon is an alternate spelling for Aghagallon; Magheramisk is an alternate spelling for Magheramesk.
|Family History Library- Transcriptions|
There are no known Presbyterian congregations within the boundary of Aghagallon parish, but the closest congregations are located in Ballinderry civil parish and Magheragall civil parish.
The Methodists did not begin to develop their own churches until around 1816. Before that date large numbers of Presbyterians and members of the Church of Ireland had formed local Methodist societies, but their baptisms, marriages, and burials were entered into the registers of their parent church. From 1816 some of the Wesleyan Methodist groups began to do their own baptism. But other Methodist groups such as Primitive Wesleyan's would not allow their ministers to administer these sacraments so their baptisms are still found in the Church of Ireland and Presbyterian registers.
Society of Friends
To discover what is available on the Quakers population in this part of County Antrim contact:
Religious Society of Friends 4 Magheralave Road Lisburn BT28 3BD County Antrim E-mail: e-mail: email@example.com
Aso on the national level http://www.quakers-in-ireland.ie/historical-library/
Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.
Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.
The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.
Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.
Add information about probate records for this parish.
Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.
The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.
Add a site for this civil parish.
- This page was last modified on 1 November 2013, at 14:28.
- This page has been accessed 653 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More