Ak-Chin Indian Community, Arizona (Tribe)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To get started in American Indian Research
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
The Ak-Chin Indian Community is a federally-recognized tribal entity.
Note: This is the Tribal page, see Ak-Chin Indian Community, Arizona (Reservation) for the reservation page.
Ak-Chin Indian Community
42507 West Peters & Nall Rd
Maricopa, Arizona 85138
Phone: (520) 568-1000
The Ak-Chin Indian Community lies 30 miles south of Phoenix in the northwestern part of Pinal County at an elevation of approximately 1,186 feet. State Route 238 intersects the reservation at its northernmost and easternmost corners. State Route 347 runs through the reservation, connecting Interstate 8 and 1-10. In this extremely arid Sonoran Desert climate; no streams slice through the landscape and no mountains rise steeply from the desert floor. Four washes traverse within the reservation from north to south.
Ak-Chin is an O'odham word which when translated means "mouth of the wash" or "place where the wash loses itself in the sand or ground." The term refers to a type of farming that relies on washes – seasonal food-plains created by winter snows and summer rains.
Ak Chin Indian Community of the Maricopa (Ak Chin) Indian Reservation, Arizona. Articles of Association of the Ak-Chin Indian Community, Arizona: Including Amendments. S.l: s.n, 1970. WorldCat 70865514
Additional References to the History of the Tribes
Tiffany, Sarah Y., Genealogy of a few Indian families of the Maracopa, Pima & Papago tribes, Genealogical Society of Utah, 1955, microfilm FHL 2366
Search Ancestry.com under the keyword "Papago" for a list of people in the U.S. Indian Census Rolls 1885-1940 and the U.S. Census Population Schedules. $ however free access at Family History Centers.
Colorado River (Arizona, California) Mohave, Chemehuevi, Yuma, Cocopah, Diegueño, Pima, Papago, Mohave-Apache Indians 1906-1929 [NOTE: 1914-1915 includes unalloted indians, (Yuma, Cocopah, Digueno, Mohave, Chemehuevi, Mohave-Apache Indians). 1916 Mohave, Cocopah, Chemehuevi, Mohave-Apache Indians. 1917-1922 Mohave, Chemehuevi, Mohave-Apache, Cocopah, Pima, Papago Indians. 1923 Mohave, Chemehuevi, Mexican, Mohaves at Fort Mohave. 1924-1929 Mohave, Chemehuevi, Mohaves at Fort Mohave. 1906-1913 Mohave only.] FHL 574206
The Tumacacori census of 1796 FHL 874325
Important Web Sites
- Cudel, Evelyne. High Incidence of Diabetes in the O'Odham Community Approach in Prevention and Control for a Native American Tribe. Thesis (Ph. D.)--University of California, Riverside, 1994, 1994. WorldCat 676815704
- Ak Chin Indian Community of the Maricopa (Ak Chin) Indian Reservation, Arizona. Ak-Chin Indian Community and the State of Arizona Gaming Compact, 2002. Phoenix, Ariz: Arizona Dept. of Gaming], 2002. WorldCat 52083094
- Ak Chin Indian Community of the Maricopa (Ak Chin) Indian Reservation, Arizona, Burton G. Hirsch, and Ralph Whitney Johnson. Law and Order Code of the Maricopa Ak-Chin Indian Community, Arizona. [Phoenix?]: The Community, 1975. WorldCat 57305506
- Ak-Chin O'Odham Runner. Maricopa, Ariz: Ak-Chin Indian Community, 1980. 30576049/editions WorldCat 30576049
- Arizona Commission of Indian Affairs, Ak-Chin Indian Community, and Fort McDowell Mohave-Apache Indian Community. Fort McDowell Report ; Maricopa (Ak-Chin) Report. [Phoenix, Ariz.]: Arizona Commission of Indian Affairs, 1960. WorldCat 20547970
- Marmaduke, William S. The Ak Chin Farm Project: Intensive Archaeological Survey of the Ak Chin Indian Reservation, West Half. Flagstaff, Ariz: Northland Research, 1983. WorldCat 9864196
- Meneses, Diana M. "It Is What Holds Us Together As a People": A History of the Ak-Chin Indian Community. Thesis (Ph. D.)--Arizona State University, 2009, 2009. WorldCat 644307287
- United States. Amending the Act Entitled "An Act Relating to the Water Rights of the Ak-Chin Indian Community" to Clarify Certain Provisions Concerning the Leasing of Such Water Rights, and for Other Purposes: Report (to Accompany H.R. 2647). Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O., 2000. WorldCat 45401702
- United States. Jicarilla Apache Tribe Water Rights Settlement Act and Ak-Chin Water Use Amendments Act of 1992: Hearing Before the Select Committee on Indian Affairs, United States Senate, One Hundred Second Congress, Second Session, on S. 2684 ... S. 2507 ... June 11, 1992, Washington, DC. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1992. WorldCat 27322176
- United States. Maricopa (Ak-Chin) Indian Reservation: Pinal County, Arizona. Phoenix, Ariz: Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1988. WorldCat 18963538
- Villegas, Olivia A. Tribal Management Procedures Study of the Maricopa Ak Chin Reservation. Tucson: Bureau of Ethnic Research, University of Arizona, 1974. WorldCat 2407934
- W.S. Gookin & Associates. Report on the Maricopa Ak-Chin Reservation June 1970. Scottsdale, Ariz: W.S. Gookin & Associates, 1970. WorldCat 52952104
- Wright, Winnie Doyle. Survey of Ak Chin Indian Reservation to Determine Educational Needs. Thesis--Arizona State University, 1973. WorldCat 2341540
- This page was last modified on 6 May 2012, at 22:50.
- This page has been accessed 1,523 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki