Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916 .
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County...t Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
This Collection will include records from 1870 to 1916.
These records from the Jefferson County Circuit Court are loose papers pertaining to disputed estates and property. They also include some divorce records.
For a list of records by case number currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Place of residence
- Names of witnesses
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Identifying information such as place of residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "County" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Volume" category which takes you to the images.
Many of these volumes have indexes at the beginning or end. You should search these first. If your ancestor is in the index download a copy or write down the page numbers listed for your ancestor. You can then quickly turn to those pages.
If you do not find your ancestor in the index, look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. For example use the date and locality to search for census and church records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname as the deceased; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have been in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local historical and genealogical groups also compile indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Alabama, Jefferson items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Alabama Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Jefferson County, Alabama.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County...t Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
- "Alabama, Jefferson County Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Jefferson County Circuit Court, Birmingham.
- This page was last modified on 13 August 2014, at 19:51.
- This page has been accessed 3,751 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki