Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916 .
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County...t Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
This Collection will include records from 1870 to 1916.
These records from the Jefferson County Circuit Court are loose papers pertaining to disputed estates and property. They also include some divorce records.
For a list of records by case number currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Place of residence
- Names of witnesses
How to Use the Record
To browse this collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "County" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Volume" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Using the information:
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. For example:
- Use the date and locality to search for census and church records.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname as the deceased; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have been in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Unable to find your ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local historical and genealogical groups also compile indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|FHL Place Alabama, Jefferson items or FHL Keyword United States, Alabama, Jefferson items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Alabama Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Alabama, Jefferson County Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County...t Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
- "Alabama, Jefferson County Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Jefferson County Circuit Court, Birmingham.
- This page was last modified on 18 June 2014, at 16:45.
- This page has been accessed 3,560 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki