Alabama CemeteriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Online ResourcesThe following have significant cemetery listings for Alabama State:
| Sites may be incomplete.
• They may not list all cemeteries in a county
• and may not include all burials in a cemetery.
- Findagrave.com Search for names Enter at least a last name then click Search. Can narrow by first names or dates.
- This site frequently has tombstone images
- List of cemeteries statewide for cemeteries in their database
- Go to Find A Grave Home page, click Search for a cemetery, select the state (Alabama), then select from the county list, and press Search.
- Click on the number below Interments for a cemetery to access names. Click Records arrow to scroll through to the end.
- Interment.net includes many Alabama cemetery transcripts.
- BillionGraves can be searched by name, surname, or cemetery. It provides a photo and the GPS location of the grave marker.
- Search the USGenWeb Archives Digital Library. This web site indexes cemetery abstracts and other items. Select the state of interest and the subject cemeteries. Type the name of the ancestor you seek in the "Query" field, and click Search. For best results, use the "Search Tips" and examples at the bottom of the web page. The computer will list any matches it finds and give you the option of viewing the full transcript.
- Alabama cemetery records on www.ancestry.com ($)
- ePodunk has a gazetteer of Alabama cemeteries.
- Alabama Cemeteries at about.com
- Wiki Pages Alabama FamilySearch Historical Records All pages in the FamilySearch Wiki on FamilySearch Historical Records about Alabama.
- The Gandrud and Jones Collection, Alabama Records. The Gandrud and Jones collection is described in Alabama Genealogy.
Daughters of the American Revolution Library
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) have tombstone inscriptions from Alabama cemeteries. This collection is located at the DAR Library in Washington, D.C., which also includes transcripts of Bible records, cemetery records, church records, family records, marriages, deaths, obituaries, and wills.
Family History Library
The Family History Library (FHL) has a Genealogical collection of Alabama cemetery records microfilmed from the original records in the D.A.R. library in Washington D.S. Daughters of the American Revolution (Alabama).
- Miscellaneous Records. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1970. FHL 835113 (first of seven films.) There are 44 other microfilms in the DAR collection for Alabama. See the FamilySearch Catalog, Author/Title
Alabama Cemetery Records. 6 vols. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Genealogical Society of Utah, 1946. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online:
- Vol. 1 Autauga, Barbour, Bibb, Butler, Calhoun, Chambers, Colbert, Coosa, Covington, Dale, Dallas, Elmore, Etowah, Geneva, Houston, Lee, Limestone, Jefferson, Marengo, Marshall, Mobile, Montgomery, Shelby, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, and Walker counties
- Vol. 2 Barbour, Henry, and Houston counties
- Vol. 3 Calhoun, Lauderdale, Talladega, and Walker counties
- Vol. 4 Colbert, Coosa, Lauderdale, and Talladega counties
- Vol. 5 Jefferson, Lauderdale, Madison, Mobile, and Perry counties
- Vol. 6 Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Coosa, St. Clair, Talladega, and Winston counties
Search the microfiche catalog, under Daughters of the American Revolution (Alabama), for a list of the other films. This collection consists of transcripts of Bible records, cemetery records, church records, marriages, deaths, obituaries, and wills. It was microfilmed in 1970 and 1971 at the DAR Library in Washington, DC. The volumes are generally arranged by county and many have individual indexes. These records are indexed by surname in E. Kay Kirkham’s An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the Southern States, cited in Alabama Genealogy.
- A county-by-county list of cemetery record transcripts and the book and film numbers to locate them may be found at the Family History Library.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family History Library (Salt Lake City, Utah). Index to United States Cemeteries. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1988. FHL films 1206468–94. FHL film 1206468 includes Alabama through Arkansas.
- Cemetery records are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- ALABAMA — CEMETERIES
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] — CEMETERIES
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] — CEMETERIES
The USGenWeb Project
Genealogical society members often copy and publish tombstone inscriptions. The USGenWeb Archives Project has records from cemeteries listed on their Internet site at:
- The Alabama Tombstone Transcription Project. In The USGenWeb Archives Project
You will find many cemetery records transcribed and published in genealogical periodicals. See Alabama Periodicals for indexes to periodicals.
- This page was last modified on 5 December 2014, at 18:45.
- This page has been accessed 8,545 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page