Alabama Divorce RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In the early 1800s, the legislature, the circuit courts, and city courts granted divorces. Divorce records may indicate the date and place of the marriage being dissolved. Circuit or city courts have handled most divorce proceedings.
Alabama divorces were settled in county chancery courts until 1915. The state legislature was also empowered to authorize divorce decrees. In 1915 the chancery courts were merged with the circuit court in each county. The Family History Library is microfilming divorce records of local chancery courts.
Statewide registration of divorces began in 1950. Copies are on microfilm or may be obtained from the Center for Health Statistics Records Services (see the address in the "Vital Records" section).
The Family History Library has these records on microfilm:
- Alabama. Bureau of Vital Statistics. County Divorce Reports, 1818–1929; Index, 1908–1937. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1988–1990. (On 11 Family History Library films beginning with 1530489.) The indexes are on films 1653550–51. These records are at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. The records are arranged by year, then by county. They may list the date and place of birth and marriage .
- Alabama. Department of Health. (Montgomery, Alabama). Divorces, 1938–1992; Index, 1950–1959. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1993. (On 337 Family History Library films beginning with 1892719.) The index for 1950 to 1959 is on film 1908984.
Publications with divorce records for 1818 to 1868 are:
- Hageness, MariLee Beatty. Alabama Divorces 1818–1868, State Legislature. Alabama Genealogical Sources; AL1004. Anniston, Alabama: M.L. Hageness, 1995. (Family History Library book 976.1 V2hm; fiche 6038873.) This book alphabetically lists the persons who were divorced with the divorce date and county.
Alabama divorce records are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- ALABAMA — DIVORCE RECORDS
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] — DIVORCE RECORDS
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] — COURT RECORDS
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] — VITAL RECORDS
- This page was last modified on 23 August 2012, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 4,181 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More