Alberta NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Resources for Alberta Newspapers
Newspapers can be a very valuable source of information; from an overview of life in an ancestor’s community to an informative obituary on his/her life.
Alberta’s first newspaper, The Edmonton Bulletin, started publication in 1880; The Calgary Herald in 1883. The Calgary Tribune, 1883, becameThe Albertan in 1886. Local newspapers ran in small cities and towns but often intermittently.
- Gloria M. Strathern. Alberta newspapers, 1880-1982: an historical directory. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 1988.
- Our Roots - Alberta Newspapers, 1880-1982
Libraries and Archives
Collections of Alberta newspapers are at the Provincial Archives, the Alberta Legislative Library, the Glenbow-Alberta Institute Library, the University of Alberta Library, the University of Lethbridge Library, and the University of Calgary Library.
Provincial Archives of Alberta
8555 Roper Road
Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5W1
- The Legislature Library has a nearly complete collection of weeklies from 1905.
Digital Issues Online
- The Lethbridge Herald is available online (1905-1955). The paper is available at both the Lethbridge Herald Newspaper Collection ($) and NewspaperArchive.com ($). Note: Both sites are run by NewspaperArchive.com, however, the two sites have different subscription prices. NewspaperArchive.com provides access to thousands of other newspapers as well.
Wainwright Public Library
Wainwright Newspaper Archives Wainwright Star Newspaper 100 years digitized and searchable. Go to bottom of the library page for link.
Alberta Published Indexes
- Obituaries index of the Barrhead Leader, by Flora and John Stewart (n.d.) and their Marriage index from the Barrhead leader, 1928-1949 (1994).
- Mary Kearns Trace. Birth, marriage and death notices of “the Alberta tribune,” Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1897-1899. Calgary: Traces, 1986.
- Dates gone by: extracts from Grande Prairie newspapers', 1913-1920. Grand Prairie: Grande Prairie and District Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society, 1997. Grande Prairie obituaries are also available online.
- Jack F. Layton.Vital statistics from the Innisfail free lance and the Innisfail providence, 1902-1925. Innisfail: Layton, 1993.
Some Edmonton indexes currently covering 1903-1908 are available from Rob Milson, 8616-176 Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5T 0N3. He says they contain, “The original extract or in some cases a paraphrasing of longer extracts, as well as an alphabetized index of all names, that is the name of the person/s about whom the article is concerned as well as other named individuals.”
Alberta Unpublished Indexes
Edmonton: There are film or card files at Edmonton Public Library (from 1961) and the City of Edmonton Archives has manuscript extracts from ca. 1907-1950s.
The provincial archives has index booklets 1880-1900.
Other manuscript indexes are at the Legislative Library of Alberta (clippings from 1971), Alberta Genealogical Society library in Edmonton.
The Census Finder Website for Alberta has references for holdings in addition to census, including additional Alberta Newspapers and also Alberta Obituary indexes:
- ↑ Borgstede, Arlene. "Alberta Newspapers (National Institute)," National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alberta_Newspapers_%28National_Institute%29.
- ↑ de Groot, Susanna, "Canada Historical Newspapers Bibliographies (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Canada_Historical_Newspapers_Bibliographies_%28National_Institute%29.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Taylor, Ryan, "Obtaining Canada Newspaper Resources (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Obtaining_Canada_Newspaper_Resources_%28National_Institute%29.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Taylor, Ryan, "Canada Newspaper Indexes and Abstracts (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Canada_Newspaper_Indexes_and_Abstracts_%28National_Institute%29.
- This page was last modified on 7 August 2014, at 21:21.
- This page has been accessed 1,453 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki