Alkham, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Alkham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Alkham St Anthony the Martyr Kent
|Poor Law Union||Dover PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
ALKHAM (St. Anthony), a parish, in Dovor District, east division of Kent, 5 miles (west by north) from Dover. St Anthony was united to the parish of Capel-le-Ferne in the diocese of Canterbury--which also see. At Reindein House, contiguous to Alkham, was an extra-parochial chapel (independent of the jurisdictions of surrounding parishes).
Alkham is a village and civil parish in the Dover district of Kent, see Alkham Wikipedia
Alkham St Anthony the Martyr is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury which includes Chalksole and Ewell Minnis. The church sits high above the village; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you.
The church is13th century mediaeval with additions and restorations in the 14th century Victorian restoration and in 1968.The church of St Anthony the Martyr has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
The village and civil parish of Alkham is 5 miles west of Dover.
See also Alkham Church website
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Alkham, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Alkham, Kent Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1558-1912||1558-1912||1558-1837; 1823-1908 (Banns)||1558-1837; 1823-1908 (Banns)||1558-1988||1558-1988|
Original records in possession of Canterbury Cathedral Archives nos.: U3/267/1-2,4, U3/267/1/A1-4, B1-2, C1-2, D1-2, E1-3.(Parish Registers)
Images for Alkham are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 34-37. Date accessed: 17 June 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 18:28.
- This page has been accessed 3,307 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page