Alverdiscott, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Torrington PLU|
|Parish registers: 1602|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
ALVERDISCOT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Torrington, hundred of Hartland, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Torrington. This parish is situated on the old road from Torrington to Barnstaple. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Wesleyans.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|ALVERDISCOTT PARISH Online Records|
||1617, 1624|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241311.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Alverdiscott on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 49-53. Date accessed: 28 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- This page was last modified on 7 January 2015, at 15:35.
- This page has been accessed 1,620 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More