Alvington, GloucestershireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Alvington, Gloucestershire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Chepstow PLU|
|Parish registers: 1688; For more records see Woolaston|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford Post 1541- Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
ALVINGTON, a parish, in the hundred of Bledisloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5½miles (N. E.) from Chepstow.The road from Gloucester to Chepstow runs through Alvington, and the river Severn flows on the east. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Alvington, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ALVINGTON PARISH (1629) Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288763.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 49-53. Date accessed: 09 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- ↑ 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 7 March 2014. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'
- ↑ 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' Joiner's Marriage Index, accessed 29 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 5 May 2014, at 23:16.
- This page has been accessed 2,209 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki