American Indian Research in the Family History LibraryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has one of the largest collections of the records of the American Indians of the United States. Included in their holdings are microfilm copies of several of the larger sets of records held by the National Archives, such as:
- Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1881 -- National Archives Microcopy M234
- Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 -- National Archives Microcopy M1070
- Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940 -- National Archives Microcopy M595
- Superintendents' Annual Narrative and Statistical Reports from Field Jurisdictions of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1907-1938 -- National Archives Microcopy M1011.
- Records of many of the Superintendencies of Indian Affairs
- Several sets of records relating to the Five Civilized Tribes, including early census rolls, enrollment applications, and Eastern Cherokee Claims Commission records
- and many more
The Family History Library also has microfilm copies of the records of most of the Superintendencies of Indian Affairs, and some Indian agencies and schools, as well as records of some missions established by various church denominations among the American Indians.
This facility also has a collection of histories of tribes, biographies of individual Indians, and histories of cultural groups in many of the regions of North America.
To determine the full extent of their holdings, search their catalog, using their Keyword Search, Place Search, and Subject Search, looking for names of tribes and official records keepers. Many of their holdings are under the subject heading of Native Races.
Most of the manuscript records on microfilm, held by the Family History Library, can be loaned to their extensive system offamily history centers.
- This page was last modified on 6 May 2012, at 11:13.
- This page has been accessed 3,054 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki