American Indian Research in the Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) exist in regions throughout the United States. Many of these Regional Archives have collected records of the federal offices in their region, including those of the field jurisdictions of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Some of the field jurisdictions are the superintendencies, agencies, schools, factories, and area offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Most of the records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs are in Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The Regional Archives have inventoried their holdings and have placed those inventories online. While these inventories are not detailed listings of all their holdings, they do provide some indication of the field offices included in their collection. The inventories compiled by staff members of these Regional Archives are generally grouped by Record Group numbers. The inventory link for each Regional Archive below provides a direct link to a listing of Record Group 75 records in that Regional Archives.
The Regional Archives with the larger collections of American Indian Records are:
- Great Lakes Regional Archives at Chicago, Illinois -- inventory
- Central Plains Regional Archives at Kansas City, Missouri -- inventory
- Southwest Regional Archives at Fort Worth, Texas -- inventory
- Rocky Mountain Regional Archives at Denver, Colorado -- inventory
- Pacific Regional Archives at Riverside, California (moved from Laguna Niguel in 2010) -- inventory
- Pacific Regional Archives at San Francisco, California -- inventory
- Pacific Alaska Regional Archives at Seattle, Washington -- inventory
- Pacific Alaska Regional Archives at Anchorage, Alaska -- although this archives has records classified as Record Group 75, no inventory of those records is currently available.
The other Regional Archives with relatively small collections of American Indian records (mostly copies of microfilmed records from the National Archives) are:
- Southeast Regional Archives at Atlanta, Georgia -- inventory
- Mid Atlantic Regional Archives at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- no manuscript records of R.G. 75 are listed in their holdings.
- Northeast Regional Archives at Boston, Massachusetts -- no manuscript records of R.G. 75 are listed in their holdings.
- Northeast Regional Archives at New York City, New York -- inventory
- This page was last modified on 15 December 2010, at 15:11.
- This page has been accessed 1,171 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More