Anderson County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a north-central Kentucky county. For other uses, see Anderson.
Guide to Anderson County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, military records, and immigration records.
|Anderson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 16, 1827|
Anderson County Kentucky Courthouse
Anderson County Courthouse
151 S Main Street
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
Anderson County Kentucky History
On January 28, 1854 a minor change in the line between the county of Franklin and Anderson was approved by legislation. It was to include the house in which R.C. McKee lived. See County Formations Database at Kentucky Land Office webpage.
1859, 1915--Disasters destroyed most records.
Anderson County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Alton Station||Fox Creek||Lawrenceburg||Stringtown|
|Ballard||Houchin (hist.)||Pleasant Grove (hist.)|
|Birdie||Jefferies (hist.)||Sidney (hist.)|
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- African American Records at Anderson County KYGenWeb Project
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Anderson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Anderson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Cemeteries of Anderson County at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- The Family History Library Catalog lists *some records of cemeteries in Anderson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Anderson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Anderson County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Census Directory at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Churches at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- See Anderson County at Kentucky Court of Justice for information on circuit court.
- See Kentucky: State Board of Elections for contact information for county clerk. You may need to scroll down the page.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
Several genealogies have been published about Anderson County families, including:
- [Catlett] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Reynolds] Tillman, Stephen Frederick. The Rennolds-Reynolds Family of Virginia and England, 1530-1948. Washington, D.C.: S.F. Tillman, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 R333t; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- jrshelby.com/hcl/ky.htm - maps showing formation of counties.
- Miltary Records at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
The Anderson News
1080 Bypass South, Suite 3
Lawrenceburg, KY 40242
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1827-1930 - Will Books A and B (1827-1930) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Wills at Anderson County KYGenWeb
Anderson County KYGenWeb has the following on line:
Additional online resources:
- Record of Marriage Bonds in Anderson County, Kentucky for the Period of Years 1827 to 1851 Inclusive. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Anderson County KY Archives
- Anderson County KYGenWeb part of the USGenWeb project.
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- Family History Library Catalog at FamilySearch
- Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History at Linkpendium.
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Anderson County, Kentucky page 268, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 27 March 2013, at 17:53.
- This page has been accessed 3,967 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More