Argentina, Mendoza, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Argentina, Mendoza, Catholic Church Records, 1665-1975 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica en la Provincia de Mendoza, Argentina
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Argentina, Mendoza, Catho...Church Records, 1665-1975.|
These records are in Spanish. This collection of church records for the period of 1665 to 1975, includes baptisms, confirmations, marriages and deaths for the cities of Godoy Cruz, Junín, La Consulta, La Paz, Las Heras, Lavalle, Luján de Cuyo, Maipú, Malargüe, Malargüe y Villa Atuel, Mendoza, Rivadavia, San Martín, San Rafael, Santa Rosa, Tunuyán, Tupungato and Villa Nueva in the province of Mendoza.
The parishes included in the collection are San Vicente Ferrer, Nuestra Señora del Rosario, San Carlos Borromeo, San José, San Miguel Arcángel, Nuestra Señora de Luján, Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria, Inmaculada Concepción, Catedral Nuestra Señora de Loreto, San Nicolás de Tolentino, San Isidro Labrador, Nuestra Señora del Carmen, San Rafael Arcángel, Santa Rosa de Lima, Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Nuestra Señora del Socorro and Sagrada Familia.
For a list of localities currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Baptismal and confirmation records usually include the following information:
- Date of the event
- Place of event
- Name of child
- Birth date of child
- Gender of child
- Parents' names and origin
- Parish of residence
- Godparents' names
Marriage records usually include the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Name of groom
- Groom’s age, origin, civil status, and legitimacy
- Parents’ names and residence
- Name of bride
- Bride’s age, origin, civil status, and legitimacy
- Parents’ names and residence
- Names and age of witnesses
Death records usually include the following information:
- Parish place and date of event
- Name of deceased
- Age and civil status of deceased
- Date of death
- Cause of death
How to Use the Record
To search this collection using the index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information in the marriage record to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination. Be aware there may be inaccuracies such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
To browse this collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "City or Town" category
⇒Select the "Parish" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
When searching the index it is helpful to know the following:
- The place where the event occurred
- The name and surname of the person
- The approximate date of the event
- The name of the parents or spouse
Use the locator information found in the index (such as page, entry, or certificate number) to locate your ancestors in the records. Compare the information in the record to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination.
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment or military records.
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family.
- The name of the officiator is a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county. However, ministers may have reported marriages performed in other counties.
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the marriage records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the bride and groom who may have married in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- Use the marriage number to identify previous marriages.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Keep in mind:
- The information in church records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after the late 1800.
- There is also some variation in the information given from one record to another.
If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, try the following:
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for a different index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Argentina, Mendoza items or FHL Keyword Argentina, Mendoza items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Argentina Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for this Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Argentina, Mendoza, Catholic Church Records, 1665-1975." Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Argentina, Mendoza, Catho...Church Records, 1665-1975.|
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Argentina, Mendoza, Catho...Church Records, 1665-1975.|
- This page was last modified on 15 October 2014, at 16:21.
- This page has been accessed 4,452 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki