Arizona BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as a person’s birth date and place; names of family members, including maiden names; education; occupation; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research about early settlers and prominent citizens of a state, county, or town. Local histories may contain biographical sketches of lesser-known people.
Major Biographical Collections
A vast alphabetical collection of biographical information concerning the early settlers of Arizona is:
- Hayden, Carl. Carl Hayden Biographical Files, ca. 1825-1927. Tempe, Arizona: Arizona State University, 19–?. (on 15 Family History Library films starting with 1000464.) This is at the Hayden Library of Arizona State University at Tempe and at the Family History Library. Internet search of the database can be found here. If you find a biography or reference of interest, you can e-mail or call the librarians and they will be happy to send a copy of the record you are seeking if they possibly can. Phone is 480-965-3283. E-mail is email@example.com.
Specific biographical resources may be found by searching on WorldCat.org by author, title or subject. Some representative biographical encyclopedias for Arizona are:
- Portrait and Biographical Record of Arizona. Chicago, Illinois: Chapman Publishing Company, 1901. (Family History Library film 934828.) Has a separately published index (Family History Library film 1321068 item 11.)
- Conners, Jo. Who's Who in Arizona. Tucson, Arizona: S.n., 1913. (Family History Library book 979.1 D3c; film 934828 item 2.)
- A biographical index to several statewide and regional histories of Arizona is Marvin E. Wiggins, Mormons and Their Neighbors: An Index of Over 75,000 Biographical Sketches from 1820 to the Present. Two Volumes. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, 1984. (Family History Library book 978 D32w.)
- Eldridge, Marilyn Busch, and Karen Clemens Paulsen. Pioneer Women of Arizona: Autobiographical and Biographical Sketches Collected by the Arizona Society Daughters of the American Revolution from 1922 to 1923 (with Additional Historical and Genealogical Information). Phoenix, Ariz: Maricopa Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, 2007.
- Clayton, Roberta Flake. Pioneer Women of Arizona. S.l: s.n, 1969 FHL 962385 Item 1 Also Index to Pioneer Women of Arizona FHL 2055216 Item 8
- Daughters of the Gila County Pioneers. A Cultural History of the Pioneer Women of Gila County, Arizona and Their Descendants. Payson, Ariz: Git A Rope! Pub, 2002.
See the United States Biographies for information on nationwide biographical collections. See also the "History" and "Genealogy" sections for additional sources. You may wish to explore biography, history and genealogy sections in the wiki at county levels also.
Biographies can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local or county histories with biographical sketches on residents. Links to county pages appear below.
- This page was last modified on 20 December 2012, at 21:29.
- This page has been accessed 1,586 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More