Arizona MapsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several types of maps are useful for genealogists. Some give the historical background of the area; others show migration routes such as roads, rivers, and railroads. Topographical maps show physical and manmade features, such as creeks, hills, trails, and roads used as persons came to Arizona. Sometimes maps also include cemeteries and churches. Plat and land ownership maps, as well as other types of maps, are described in United States Maps. In the FamilySearch Catalog, atlases are listed in the Place Search. Remember to search each locality as a town, a county and as a state.
Arizona Maps Online
United States Census Bureau State and County Map. This map will allow you to zoom in on any state or county in the United States and read the names of all of the neighboring counties.
Arizona Historical Maps
- David Rumsey Map Collection
- Perry Casteñeda Map Collection
- USGS Historical Topographical Maps
- Newberry Atlas of Historic County Boundaries
- 1895 map of the State of Arizona
For a more detailed list of place names and locations within the state of Arizona, go to the GeoNames geographical database. This database covers all countries and contains over eight million place names throughout the world that are available for download free of charge.
Printable maps are also available from the National Atlas of the United States.
Arizona Maps at the Family History Library
- The Family History Library has some single maps of Arizona, and an atlas covering the years 1790-1871 (Family History Library film 002083.)
- Another helpful atlas is Henry P. Walker and Don Bufkin, Historical Atlas of Arizona. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press, 1979. (Family History Library book Q 979.1 E7w).
- The University of Arizona in Tucson has an extensive collection of maps, atlases, and aerial photographs covering Arizona, southwestern United States, and Mexico.
- Arizona State University in Tempe also has a sizable collection of maps.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 22:46.
- This page has been accessed 3,822 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki