Arkansas, First Draft Registration Cards (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Arkansas, First Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945 .
This collection consists of index and images of draft registration cards (SSS-1 forms) covering a special classification of individuals born between 1897 and 1928.The collection was located at the NARA SW region in Fort Worth Texas. For additional information about this collection contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. The cards are part of Record Group 147: Records of the Selective Service System,1926-1975. Currently, the index records for this collection are incomplete. Additional records will be added as they are completed.
In August of 2013, the National Archives replaced the ARC – Archival Research Catalog - with the OPA – Online Public Access. ARC identifiers will still work to access the collections in OPA.
For additional information about this collection contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. The cards are part of Record Group 147: Records of the Selective Service System,1926-1975:
National Personnel Records Center
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Arkansas First Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945.|
The records usually include:
- Full name of draftee
- Residence at time of registration
- Age at registration
- Date and place of birth
- Citizenship of country
- Name of wife, father or mother
- Residence of that person
- Employer's name
- Employer's place of business
- Signature of Registrant
- Name of person who will always know your address - this is often a spouse or relative
- Description of your ancestor & their signature (on the back of the card)
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The name and surname of the person
- Other identifying information such as the place of registration or the names of the parents or spouse
Search the Collection
To search by index:
Fill in the requested information on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Surname Range" category which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
With either search keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article [FamilySearch Tips and Tricks].
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby states.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals who may be related to your ancestor
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Arkansas, Military Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Arkansas Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the other Related Wiki Articles below.|
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- Selective Service Records
- NARA at St. Louis Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)
- NARA at St. Louis National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Arkansas, First Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Selective Service System. National Archives and Records Administration, Southwest Region, Fort Worth, Texas.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Arkansas, First Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945.|
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Arkansas First Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945.|
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2016, at 23:48.
- This page has been accessed 7,210 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News