Ashwicken, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ashwicken, Norfolk family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn PLU|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1700|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ASHWICKEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Lynn.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Freebridge Lynn
Ashwicken, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ashwicken, Norfolk Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library. Registers since 1717 had not been deposited with the Norfolk Record Office and are with the incumbent in the parish.
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
Archdeacons transcripts, 1600-1812 Contains records for Leziate. Leziate was united with Ashwicken.
|Archdeacons Transcripts Contents||FHL Film|
|Baptisms 1600-1606, 1623-1636, 1668-1812. Marriages 1600-1602, 1625-1630, 1668-1812 Burials 1601-1608, 1623-1636, 1668-1812.||BRITISH 1526742 Item 4|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438857.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?FreebridgeLynn/FreebridgeLynn.shtml
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 96-100. Date accessed: 28 Aug. 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 1 August 2014, at 14:33.
- This page has been accessed 1,831 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki