Atchison County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Atchison County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
- This article is about a northeastern Kansas County. For other uses, see Atchison.
|Atchison County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Atchison County, Kansas Courthouse|
423 N. 5th Street
Atchison, Kansas 66002
Atchison County Courthouse
423 N 5th Street
Atchison, KS 66002
County Clerk has birth records 1891-1906 and death records 1891-1911;
City Clerk has birth and death records from 1911.
Clerk District Court has divorce Records.
Magistrate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1855--Atchison County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Atchison 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
"The story of a Kansas parish : being a compilation from the records and a partial survey of the work and some of the workers of Trinity Church, Atchison, Kansas, from 1857 to 1911 (1911)" by Francis S White.
Some great stories and detailed information about the church's growth from 1859 forward, including photos of the ministers. You can read this book online at archive.org, no copyrights.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Atchison County, Kansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
"History of Atchison County, Kansas (1916)" by Ingalls, Sheffield Lawrence, Kansas, Standard Publishing Co.
This book gives a lot of local information, including biographies and photos of prominent citizens, history of towns, churches, railroads, etc. You can read it online at archive.org ; no copyrights
Early migration routes to and from Atchison County, Kansas for European and African American settlers included:
- Men from Atchison County enlisted in 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Atchison County, Kansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Atchison and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Atchison County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Atchison County, Kansas 248 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 00:30.
- This page has been accessed 6,587 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki