Attala County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Attala County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Attala County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||December 23 1833, 1833|
|Address|| Attala County Courthouse<;br>230 W Washington Street|
Kosciusko, MS 39090-0000<br> Phone: 662.289.2921
;Attala County Courthouse
Attala County Courthouse
230 W Washington Street
Kosciusko, MS 39090-0000
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate and land records and old newspapers. 
1833--Attala County was created 23 December 1833 as part of the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Kosciusko 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1643-1947) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Attala County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Attala County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1643-1947)
- Family Maps of Attala County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Attala served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Attala County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company F - Shipp’s Company
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [became the 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company - Rocky Point Rifles, aka Rocky Point Rifle Company
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company B - Rocky Point Rifles, aka Rocky Point Rifle Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Attala Yellow Jackets
- Company K - Center Marksmen
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Love’s Company
- Company I - Turner’s Company
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Buford’s Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Attala County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Attala County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Attala County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1892-1926 - Attala County Marriage Books G-O Index 1892-1926 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- [1892-1967 Marriage records, 1892-1951; marriage index, 1892-1967
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Attala County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Mississippi Genealogy and History Network — Attala County
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Attala County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 02:21.
- This page has been accessed 8,703 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More