Australia Archives and LibrariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Australia Archives and LibrariesArchives collect and preserve original documents from organizations such as churches or governments. Libraries generally collect published sources such as books and maps.
Many of these archives and libraries have Web sites listing their e-mail address and services. Most archives have catalogs describing their records and how to use them. Some catalogs are online. Read Australian family history and genealogy: selected websites for brief descriptions about archives and libraries.
PO Box 7425
Canberra Business Centre
Tel: 1300 886 881 (from overseas: 61 2 6212 3900)
Fax: 1300 886 882 (from overseas: 61 2 6212 3999)
The National Archives holds records of Australian government records of the Federation or Commonweath since in 1901; Commonwealth people; and the High Court. RecordSearch describes over 7.7 million records created by 9000 Australian Government agencies. Reading rooms are in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart and Darwin.
A step-by-step guide to research at the National Archives is available. More than 200 fact sheets about their records are available online. Family history records are not in their collections, but the site contains links to those records. Read Begin Your Journey to get started family history.
Parkes ACT 2600
Phone: +61 (0)2 6262 1266
Fax: +61 (0)2 6273 5081
State and Territory Archives and Libraries
State and Territory Libraries hold family history collections specialising in resources for their state and a selection of material relating to other areas of Australia and Overseas. Contact information for other libraries in Australia may be found at the Australian Libraries Gateway.
Australia Capitol Territory
The two links below will allow you to download lists of historic marriages or deaths.
New South Wales
A guide is Concise Guide to the State Archives of New South Wales. No. 13 in the Guide to the State Archives of New South Wales series. Sydney, Australia: The Authority, 1969. (FHL book 994.4 A35g no. 13.)
- State Records of South Australia
- State Library of South Australia - Family History Service and Collection
A guide is Ancestors in archives: a guide to family history sources in the official records of South Australia. Adelaide, South Australia, Australia: Government of South Australia, 1991. (FHL book 994.23 A37a.)
A guide is Watson, Lilian, and Neil Chick. The Archives office of Tasmania. Research Note Series Number 7. Tasmania: Genealogical Society of Tasmania, 1986. (FHL book 994.6 D27w.)
- Public Record Office - Victoria's Archives
- State Library of Victoria - Genealogists and Family Historians
A guide is Genealogical Sources. Victoria, Australia: Public Record Office, 1984. (FHL book 994.5/M1 D23g.)
Family and Local History Societies
Australia Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc. promotes and encourages the study of genealogy, heraldry, family history and allied subjects throughout Australia and to assist members and others in genealogical research.
Family History and Historical Societies in Australia lists family history organizations that are helpful to researchers.
General Guides to Archives
Printed guides may be helpful in locating family history material.
- White, Olga, Anne-Marie Schwirtlich, and Jennifer Nash, comp. Our Heritage. O’Connor, Australian Capital Territory, Australia: Australian Society of Archivists, 1983. (FHL book 994 J54w.)
- Australian Archives. Relations in records: a Guide to Family History Sources in the Australian Archives. Canberra, Australia: Australian Government Publishing Service, 1988. (FHL book 994 A3r.) The following book contains a listing of indexes that are available in Australian libraries:
- Henty, Margaret, and Rachel Jakimow. Indexes in Australian libraries. Canberra, Australia: National Library of Australia, 1995. (FHL book 994 A3h.)
Family History Library Catalog
The Family History Library has other guides. Call numbers for these can be found in the library's catalog by using the Place Search for:
AUSTRALIA, [STATE] - ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES - INVENTORIES, REGISTERS, CATALOGS
- This page was last modified on 24 September 2013, at 20:43.
- This page has been accessed 4,601 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More