Australia Church DirectoriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Australia Church Directories
Church directories list names and addresses of church officials, dioceses, and parishes. There are many genealogical uses for church directories: They list all the parishes in a diocese so you can determine if your ancestor’s town had a parish church. Many directories list all towns belonging to a parish, and most are for specific denominations.
The Family History Library has copies of Roman Catholic and Lutheran church directories. Some information, such as the priest’s name, may be out of date. The addresses and parish histories are still valid.
Church directories are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- AUSTRALIA - CHURCH DIRECTORIES
- AUSTRALIA, [STATE], [TOWN] - CHURCH DIRECTORIES
The Family History Library has the following directory to help you determine the diocese of the Roman Catholic parishes:
- Australian Episcopal Conference. The Official Directory of the Catholic Church in Australia and New Zealand.Sydney, Australia: E. J. Dwyer, 1985. (Family History Library Call Number 994 K24c.)
The Family History Library also has the following directory for the Lutheran Church:
- Wiebusch, E.W. Yearbook of the Lutheran Church in Australia.Adelaide, Australia: Lutheran Publishing House, 1973. (Family History Library Call Number 994 K25y 1984.)
More current directories and directories of other denominations may be available at genealogical societies, archives, or libraries. For addresses, see the Societies and Archives and Libraries articles.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,797 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More