Austria, Evangelical-Lutheran Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Austria, Evangelical-Lutheran Church Records, 1848-1900 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Evangelische Kirchenurkunden
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Evangelical-Luth...Church Records, 1848-1900.|
This Collection will include records from 1848 to 1900.
The collection consists of church book duplicates from the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of the Augsburg Confession in Austria (Evangelische Kirche Augsburgischen Bekenntnisses in Österreich). The collection also includes records from the parishes of the Evangelical Church of the Helvetic Confession (Evangelische Kirche Helvetisches Bekenntnisses in Österreich). Original records are located in the Evangelischer Oberkirchenrat A.u.H.B., Vienna.
The collection includes records such as: Taufen (baptism), Trauungen (marriage), Sterben (death or burial), Toten (death or burial), Taufregister (baptismal index), Trauungsregister (marriage index), and Sterberegister (death or burial index). The text of the records is in German. In the “Description,” a two-letter abbreviation is listed (either AB or HB). AB refers to Evangelisch (Luthern). HB refers to Evangelisch Reformiert (Reformed Luthern (Swiss)). In the records, the abbreviation AB follows the city name.
For a list of localities currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
There are two different Evangelical churches in Austria. One belongs to the Lutheran tradition and is called the Luthern Church A.B. (Augsburg Confession); the other one is part of the Reformed Luthern Tradition and is marked by the label, H.B. (Helvetic, meaning the Swiss Confession). The combined membership of the Luthern churches in Austria make up close to 5% of the total Austrian population. The Lutheran Church has approximately 356,500 members; the Reformed Lutheran Church has approximately 19,500 members.
The church books stored at the archive in Vienna are duplicates of the originals. The originals are still in parishes around the country. Often the originals include records for earlier years than the duplicates because the order to duplicate the church books was not given until 1848.
Church records were created to record church sacraments associated with the life events of the parishioners, such as baptism, marriage, and burial. This collection of church books is a reliable and accurate source for genealogical research. Accuracy in the records for such information as dates, ages, and places is dependent upon the accuracy of the person giving the information and the accuracy of the recording by the ecclesiastical.
Birth or Baptism Records usually include:
- Name of baptized child
- Date and place of birth
- Date of baptism and location
- Parents' names, status, place of birth, religion
- Names of godparents
- Whether child was legitimate or illegitimate or stillborn
- Additional remarks
Marriage Records usually include:
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses' Names, Age and Occupation
Death and Burial Records usually include:
- Date and Place of Death and Burial
- Name and Age of Deceased
- Cause of Death
- Father of Deceased and his Occupation
- Date and Birthplace of Deceased
- Marital Status of Deceased
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse
How to Use the Records
To search by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link on the initial collection page ⇒ Select the "Place" (Ort) ⇒ Select the "Event type" (Ereignistyp) ⇒ Select the "Year Range" (Zeitraum) which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading the Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki article:
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that errors may have occurred at the time the record was created.
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the records of nearby localities (for example: Germany, Slovenia, etc.).
|FHL Place Austria items or FHL Keyword Austria items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Evangelical Church in Austria
- Evangelical Church of the Augsburg and Helvetic Confessions in Austria
- Austria Websites
- Kronlander Oesterreich Map 1855
- Slovenia Maps
Related Wiki Articles
- Austria Church Records
- Austrian Church Records Online
- Austrian Military Church Records by Regiment
Contributing to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found it. This will help you or others to find the same record again.
Keep track of records where you did not find information about your ancestor so you and others will not waste time looking through these records in the future.
Citation for This Collection
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Evangelical-Luth...Church Records, 1848-1900.|
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Austria, Evangelical-Lutheran Church Records, 1848-1900" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Evangelisches Kirchenamt, Vienna.
- This page was last modified on 19 June 2014, at 17:43.
- This page has been accessed 8,251 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki