Austria, Upper Austria, Linz Citizen Rolls (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Austria, Upper Austria, Linz Citizen Rolls, 1658-1937 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Linz Bürgerbücher
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, L... Citizen Rolls, 1658-1937.|
This collection of citizen records includes the years 1658 to 1937.
This collection of citizen records for the city of Linz may give the name, residence, age, occupation, and tax information for each citizen. The collection also includes citizen land registers (burgerkataster), tax invoices (rechnungen), orphan books (waisenbuch), lists of proprietors (hauserverzeichnis), and certificates of family origin (heimatschein).
The text is handwritten in German. Some documents are written in ledger type format, others in narrative style. For help with translating the documents, see the For Help Reading the Records section of this article.
This collection has a variety of legal records, all relating to citizen records of residence status, property, taxes, heirs, etc.
These records were created to track the identification, property, and taxes of all citizens and people applying for citizenship.
Citizen records are reliable, but keep in mind that these do not have as much information as church and civil records. Use these records when vital information can’t be found elsewhere.
For a list of records by date or locality currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Citizen lists may include the following:
- Date issued
- Name of principal
- Marital status
- Physical description
- Spoken language
Outstanding tax records may include the following:
- Name of person
- Marital status
- Place of residence
Citizenship and oath of allegiance lists may include the following:
- Name of person
- Age or date of birth
- Place of residence
- Signature of person swearing the oath
- Name of representative (if any)
Inheritance tax records may include the following:
- Name of the deceased person
- Names of heirs
- Taxes information
How to Use the Record
This section provides information on how to search the collection, what to do with information once found, some tips on how to find records, and what to do if no record is found.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, estimated [event] year, and family relationships.
Search the Collection
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the “Item of Interest" category which takes you to the images
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
For Help Reading the Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Using the Information
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the soldier's age and location of the military unit to find his family in census, church, and land records.
- Use the county code and the certificate number to obtain a copy of the original death certificate from the county.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- Be aware that errors may have occurred at the time the records were made.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the records of nearby localities (or military units, counties, parishes, etc.).
|FHL Place Austria, Upper Austria items or FHL Keyword Austria, Upper Austria items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Austrian Citizenship
- Citizenship Act
- Obtaining Austrian Citizenship
- Austrian Nationality Laws
- Oberosteriches Landesarchiv
- Research in Austria
Related Wiki Articles
- Austria Church Records
- Austria Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria, Upper Austria, Linz, Miscellaneous City Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information (often called citing your sources). This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Austria, Upper Austria, Linz Citizen Rolls, 1658-1937." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Oberösterreichisches Landesarchiv, Linz [Upper Austrian State Archives, Linz].
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Upper Austria, L... Citizen Rolls, 1658-1937.|
- This page was last modified on 23 October 2014, at 16:05.
- This page has been accessed 6,561 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki