Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Österreich, Wien, jüdischen Register der Geburten, Heiraten und Sterbefälle
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911.|
This Collection will include records from 1850 to 1896. These records are in German. For translation tools, see the For Help Reading the Records section of this article.
The collection consists of registers of births, marriages, deaths, and some burials for the Jewish Community of Vienna (Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien).
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Birth Registers may include the following:
- Name of Declarant/Father
- Declarant's Age, Occupation and Residence
- Name and Gender of Child
- Date and Place of Birth
- Parents' Names, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Names of Witnesses or Godparents
- Witnesses’ Age, Occupation and Residence
Marriage Registers may include the following:
- Date and Place of Marriage
- Groom's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Groom's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Bride's Age, Marital Status, Occupation and Residence
- Names of Bride's Parents, including Maiden Name of Mother
- Birthplaces of Bride and Groom
- Witnesses' Names, Age and Occupation
Death Registers may include the following:
- Date and Place of Death and Burial
- Name and Age of Deceased
- Cause of Death
- Father of Deceased and his Occupation
- Date and Birthplace of Deceased
- Marital Status of Deceased
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse
How to Use the Record
To search by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Town or City" category
⇒ Select "Record Type" category
⇒ Select "Item Description" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading the Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki article:
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the locality to search for other records.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- You may need to search using a nickname or alternative name.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
|FHL Place Austria, Niederösterreich, Wien items or FHL Keyword Austria, Niederösterreich, Wien items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Jewish Web Index
- Tracing Your Ancestors in Vienna
- Research in Austria
- Austria Websites
- Map of Austria, 1801
Related Wiki Articles
- Austria Jewish Research
- Austria Jewish Records
- Austrian Poland Jewish Research
- Research in the Austro-Hungarian Empire
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Articles
- Austria Vienna Population Cards (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Austria Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information (often called citing your sources). This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2014. Citing Jüdische Gemeinde Wien. Niederösterreichischen Stadt und Landesarchiv Wien.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911.|
- This page was last modified on 23 July 2014, at 19:51.
- This page has been accessed 9,926 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki