Aveton Gifford, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Aveton Gifford, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Aveton Gifford, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Kingsbridge PLU|
|Parish registers: 1603|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
AVETON-GIFFORD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Modbury. It is situated on the river Avon, which is navigable to the English Channel.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Aveton Gifford, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|AVETON GIFFORD PARISH Online Records|
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241309.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Aveton Gifford on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 116-120. Date accessed: 11 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- This page was last modified on 7 January 2015, at 22:39.
- This page has been accessed 2,517 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More