Avon, ConnecticutEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Avon is a town in the Farmington Valley region of Hartford County, Connecticut, United States.
Avon was settled in 1645 and was originally a part of Farmington but was sold to the Puritans in a land charter granted by the Duke of York in 1830. Avon was originally called Northington (the north parish) before it broke off from Farmington. According to the Avon Historical Society, Avon's independence was rooted in the need for a church that was more accessible to the growing town's population than the Congregational Church in Farmington. The town eventually commissioned someone to come north from the Yale Divinity School to found the first church.
Avon Probate Court covers Town of Avon. Constituted May session 1884, from Farmington.
- West Hartford
Libraries and Historical Societies
- This page was last modified on 21 May 2013, at 16:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,204 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page