Axbridge, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Axbridge, Somerset family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Axbridge PLU|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
AXBRIDGE (St. John the Baptist), a markettown and parish, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 18 miles (S. by W.) from Bristol, and 130 (W. by S.) from London. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records are the main source for identifying people prior to 1837 when civil registration began. It is also a main source after 1837 in conjunction with civil registration. The Church of England was formed in 1536, after King Henry VIII severed all ties to the church in Rome. Each local parish was responsible to register all marriages, baptisms and burials starting in 1538  .
Axbridge, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|SOPC = Somerset Online Parish Clerks - free|
|AXBRIDGE PARISH Online Records|
Church records on microfilm
- Bishop's transcripts for Axbridge (Church of England), 1597-1812
- Bishop's transcripts for Axbridge (Church of England), 1597-1835
Church Vital Records
- Christenings for Axbridge, 1597-1812
- Marriages for Axbridge, 1597-1812
- Baptisms for Wesleyan Methodist Church, Axbridge, 1852-1891
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474608.
Poor law Union
The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 placed the responsibility for the care of the poor in England and Wales, from 1834 onward, on Poor Law Unions. The Poor Law Unions and their workhouses took over this responsibility from the Church of England parishes. Prior to 1834 a few parishes or collections of parishes had established a few workhouses to help relieve the poor and provide indoor relief in the form of food, clothes and shelter.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
In 1692 the British government instituted another innovative scheme to increase revenue which came to be known as the land tax .
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England,(1848). Date accessed: 11 September 2013.
- ↑ England Church Records
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 October 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- ↑ England and Wales Poor Law
- ↑ Land Tax Assessment Records
Contributor: add any additional relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 29 July 2014, at 18:41.
- This page has been accessed 2,633 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki