Babingley, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn PLU|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1662|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Babingley St Mary and St Felix is an ancient parish with two churches or more accurately the old ruined church of St Felix and it's replacement "tin Tabernacle."
The chapel of St Felix is unique in East Anglia, and perhaps in England, as a thatched, cruciform 'tin tabernacle', a corrugated iron building constructed from a kit, probably made by Boulton and Paul of Norwich.
It was declared redundant by the Church of England and acquired by the British Orthodox church. When Anglicans locally rejected the ordination of women within the Church Of England they did not feel comfortable with conversion to Roman Catholicism but embraced the Orthodox tradition.
BABINGLEY (St. Felix), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn. 
Babingley, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Babingley, Norfolk Online Records|
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication
|Baptisms 1630-1636, 1668-1812 Marriages 1636, 1679-1798 Burials 1630, 1668-1797|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526742 Item 5
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438857.
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?FreebridgeLynn/FreebridgeLynn.shtml
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
- Freebridge Lynn
- Babingley on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 124-128. Date accessed: 29 August 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 17 September 2014, at 20:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,126 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki