Baker County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Baker County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Baker County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||February 8, 1861|
Baker County Courthouse
339 E MacClenny Avenue
MacClenny, FL 32063-2100
County Judge has marriage and probate records
Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1880
1888 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
( * indicates an incorporated city or town )
- Glen Saint Mary*
- Macclenny* (county seat)
- Manns Spur
- Pine Top
- Charlton County, Georgia
- Clinch County, Georgia
- Ware County, Georgia
For tips on accessing Baker County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
==== Land ==== Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Baker County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Civil War Battle
- Civil War
- - Florida, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- - Florida, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- - Florida, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955
- - Florida, Confederate Pension Applications Files
- - A Guide to Civil War Records at the State Archives of Florida
The following Civil War battle was fought in Baker County:
Map showing Civil War battles in Florida.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Baker County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Baker County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Baker County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877-1900 - Baker County Marriage Index 1877-1900. Batch M744361 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1920 - Baker County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1877-1920. Batch M734997 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1900-1919 - Baker County Marriage Book 2 Index 1900-1919. Batch M734996 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1919-1927 - Baker County Marriage Books 3 thru 5 Index 1919-1927. Batch M734835 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- MacClenny Florida Family History Center
- MacClenny, Florida
- The Baker County FLGenWeb Project, a member of The FLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Baker County FLGenWeb Project, Inc<
- Baker County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Baker County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 26 June 2012).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
|This Florida-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 13 June 2013, at 00:27.
- This page has been accessed 2,084 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More