Ballinrobe Civil Parish, County MayoEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Ireland Gotoarrow.png Counties of Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Parishes Gotoarrow.png Ballinrobe Civil Parish, County Mayo

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Ballinrobe. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Contents

Historical Overview

History

BALLINROBE, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of KILMAINE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 14 miles (S. by E.) from Castlebar, and 116 ½ miles (W.by N.) from Dublin; containing 8923 inhabitants, of which number, 2604 are in the town. A monastery for friars of the order of St. Augustine was founded here some time prior to 1337, in which year it is mentioned in the registry of the Dominican friary of Athenry, under the name of the monastery de Roba. The town is situated on the river Robe, from which it derives its name, and on the road from Hollymount to Cong; it consists of one principal street, from which two others diverge, and, in 1831, contained 441 houses, of which nearly all are well built and slated, and several are of handsome appearance. There are barracks for cavalry and infantry; the former adapted to the accommodation of 8 officers and 106 non-commissioned officers and privates, with stabling for 84 horses; the latter for 6 officers and 96 noncommissioned officers and men, with an hospital for 20 patients. A considerable trade is carried on in corn; and large quantities of wheat and potatoes, the latter of excellent quality, are sold in the town. There are a large flour-mill, an extensive brewery and malting establishment, and a tanyard, all in full operation. The market is on Monday, and is well supplied with corn and provisions; and fairs are held on Whit-Tuesday and the 5th of December, chiefly for sheep and cattle. A chief constabulary police station has been established here. There is a patent for a manorial court, but none is held; petty sessions are held every Monday, and general sessions take place in June and December.

The courthouse is a neat, building well adapted to the purpose, and affording also accommodation for the market. The bridewell contains four cells, three day-rooms, and two airing-yards, with other requisite accommodation.

The parish, which is situated on the loughs Mask and Carra, comprises 13,504 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 7290 are arable, 3888 pasture, 324 woodland, 1120 bog, and 882 acres waste land. The land under cultivation has been greatly impoverished by burning and other defective modes of management, and the pastures might be much improved by draining; the system of agriculture, however, is gradually improving. The plantations are mostly on rushy land; and of the waste, about 400 acres are a limestone rock. Limestone of very good quality is quarried for building and for agricultural purposes. The surrounding scenery, particularly towards Lough Mask, is very pleasing; the mountains of Joyce's country, rising in the distance on the west side of the lake, and the east side being embellished with numerous handsome demesnes.

Among the gentlemen's seats are Curramore, the residence of Jeffrey Martin, Esq., pleasantly situated on Lough Mask; and on the same lake, Cuslough House, formerly the seat of Lord Tyrawley, and now of R. Livesey Esq.; and Creagh, that of J. Cuff, Esq. On Lough Carra is Lakeview, the residence of Mrs. Blake. Robe Villa is the seat of Courtney Kenny, Esq., in the demesne of which, and on the bank of the river, are the remains of the abbey; Lavally House, of R. Fair, Esq.; Springvale, of Henry Joseph Blake, Esq.; and Cluna Castle, the residence of J. Gildea, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to £480. The church, a neat plain building, was repaired in 1815, towards which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £300; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £251 for its further repair. The glebe-house, a handsome residence, was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £1050 from the late Board; the glebe comprises 10 acres.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel, a large slated building with a lofty square tower, was erected in 1815 by subscription, towards which the late Lord Tyrawley gave £50 and one acre of land. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Two schools in the town are aided by donations from C. N. Knox, Esq., and afford instruction to about 200 children; and there are seven private pay schools in the parish, in which are about 320 children, and a Sunday school. There is also a dispensary. Numerous remains of ancient forts may be traced; and on the grounds of Mr. Clendinning and Mr. Rycroft are chalybeate springs.

From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at:  http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Ballinrobe-Kilmaine-Mayo.php

Localities

List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.

Records

Cemeteries

Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.

Census

The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.

Catholic

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

The Catholic parish of Ballinrobe includes the civil parish of Ballinrobe.

Family History Library
Baptisms 1848-1903
Marriages 1848-1903, 1911
Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Presbyterian

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Methodist

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Others

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 29 November 2013, at 19:16.
  • This page has been accessed 1,452 times.