Barnes, SurreyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Barnes, Surrey family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Richmond PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1700|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
BARNES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Richmond, W. division of the hundred of Brixton, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from London.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474648.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Barnes Holy Trinity was erected by 1876; and St Michael and All Angels was built in 1896.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 24 September 2013; 'Barnard Castle - Barnshaw', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 148-153. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50779 Date accessed: 07 June 2013.
- ↑ Surrey Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Surrey Marriage Index - Parishes in the index,' British Origins, accessed 18 September 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- ↑ Batch C067931, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ Batch M067931, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 20:06.
- This page has been accessed 2,562 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki