Barnstaple, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Barnstaple, Devon family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Barnstaple PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1596|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
BARNSTAPLE, or Barum (St. Peter and St.Paul), a port, borough, market-town, and parish, having exclusive jurisdiction,and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 40 miles (N. W.) from Exeter. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Barnstaple, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk|
|GOOG = Google Books - free.|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free.|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) (£).|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|BARNSTAPLE PARISH (1538) Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241303.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 153-158. Date accessed: 18 July 2012.
- ↑ Thomas Wainwright, Barnstaple Parish Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538 A.D. to 1812 A.D., 3 vols. in 1 (Exeter: James G. Cummin, 1903). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- ↑ Thomas Wainwright, Barnstaple Parish Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538 A.D. to 1812 A.D., 3 vols. in 1 (Exeter: James G. Cummin, 1903). Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 04:18.
- This page has been accessed 2,595 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki