Barren County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Barren County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, military records, and immigration records.
|Barren County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 20, 1798|
Barren County Kentucky Courthouse
Barren County Courthouse
Glasgow, KY 42141-2812;
Barren County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses== Barren County Kentucky Places / Localities ==
|Apple Grove||Eighty Eight||Kino||Railton|
|Bear Wallow||Finney||Lucas||Rocky Hill|
|Cave City||Halfway||Park||Temple Hill|
|Coral Hill||Highland Springs||Peter Creek||Tracy|
Barren County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
Archives, Libraries, and Internet Sites
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- Brooks, James P. The Biography of Eld. Jacob Locke of Barren County, Ky. Glasgow, Ky.: Times Print., 1881. FHL Film 1232; digital version of Locke's The Baptist Encyclopaedia bio at Internet Archive.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Barren County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- TheFamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Barren County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Barren County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- The Tombstone Transcription Project-Barren County, Kentucky usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Barren County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Barren County Kentucky Census Records
- Census Records Online, Barren Co., Kentucky
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Sandra Gorin published a detailed list of Barren County churches from 1799 through the early 1900s. Her book is available online - free.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Barren Co., KYGenWeb site includes a list of links for online family histories:
- [Adwell] Meredith, Mikel Ray. The Adwells of the Barrens. Cave City, Ky.: M.R. Meredith, 1995. FHL Collection.
- [Allee] Allee, Ginger Rae. David Allee's Children. Friendswood, Texas: V.R.M. Allee, 1988. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Alley] Stever, Frank. Our Common Heritage: The Descendants of: Wiley Alley (1823-1906) and Charlottie Shelton Alley (1820-1906) & Horotio Gower (1809-1869) and Leah McCarty Gower (1819-1897). Odessa, Mo.: F. Stever, 1986-1987. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Bailey] Bailey, Alice Lemira Morrey. Callam Holman Bailey, Planter, Early Settler of Barren County, Kentucky. Fort Wayne, Ind.: A. Bailey, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 B151bam; additional research notes (1990s): FHL Book 929.273 B151bam supp.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Barbour] Barber, Woodrowe. Barbours to Barbers. Wyandotte, Okla.: Gregath, [2000?]. FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Bates] Bates, Edmond Franklin and Bates B. Witt. Virginia Line of Bates. ~1950. FHL Film 1307572 Item 23.
- [Beard] Snow, Joy L. Descendants of John Beard (1759-1814) and Margaret (Kirk) Beard (1758-1850). FHL Collection.
- [Beatty] Beatty, Oren A. History and Genealogy of Helen Huffman Beatty and Alexander Van Beatty. 1971. FHL Film 1454580 Item 1.
- [Bewley] Franklin, Eva L. Bewley-Buley-Buly: Jess Bewley Sr. and Wife, Mary Huckeby, of Kentucky. 1976?. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Bewley] Franklin, Eva L., Shelby Jackson Bewley, and Ron Bewley. Bewley Roots in Barren County, Kentucky. Rineyville, Ky.: S.J. Bewley, [1985?]. FHL Book 929.273 B468fb.
- [Boian] Edwards, Eva Dean Boian. Boians of Kentucky. Irvine, Ky.: E.D.B. Edwards, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B635e.
- [Boston] Fellows, Juanite Ann Boston. Eugene Preston Boston: Ancestors, Descendants, and In-laws: From Richmond County VA to Orange County VA to Barren County KY to Laclede County MO: In-law Names Includes Mott, Robinett and Whelchel. 2010. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Brenton] Brenton, Chester F. Descendants of Henry Brenton Sr. Spokane, Wash.: C.F. Brenton, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 B753bd.
- [Britt] Conner, Cheyanne Britt. The Life and Times of Obadiah Britt and Sarah Wheeler Britt. Indianapolis, Ind.: C.B. Conner, 1981. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Buford] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Campbell] Wheeler, Alma Jean Enloe. Campbell: James Campbell and Sophia Downing of Cole County, Missouri. Ozark, Mo.: Dogwood Printing, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C152w.
- [Cooney] Cooney: Family Records. Microfilmed 1986: FHL Film 1421601 Item 9.
- [Crenshaw] Peden, Henry C. The Crenshaws of Kentucky, 1800-1995: A Genealogy of the Crenshaws in South-central Kentucky, Primarily the Counties of Barren and Metcalfe, Including the Related Families of Allen, Arnett, Beard, Bird, Bradshaw, Dearing, Dickey, Duke, Franklin, Goad, Hord, Jackson, Love, Maupin, Mitchell, Munday, Pace, Parrish ... Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 C863p
- [Davis] Janes, Ray H. GTT: Gone to Texas: A Davis/Janes Family History. Denton, Texas: Ronjon, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 D29jr.
- [Drake] McMellon, Judith C. Drake: De[s]cendants of Greenberry & Nancy "Lane" Drake & Associated Families. 1979. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Drake] Drake, Michael E. The Search for the Ancestors and Descendants of Henry Brasater Drake of Coles County, Illinois. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 D789dra.
- [Edmunds] Edmunds, Mary W. Edmunds History, 1710-1971. Thomson, Ga.: M.W. Edmunds, 1971?. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Edwards] Edwards, Cyrus. The Edwards Family of Barren County, Kentucky: History and Traditions. Louisville, Ky. Geo. G. Fetter Co., 1924. FHL Film 1017035 Item 8; digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online - free; World Vital Records ($).
- [Ennis] Johnson, Eddis. The Skaggs Family. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1502551 Item 8.
- [Ennis] Ennis, Wendell. The Ennis Family of Green, Barren, and Hart Counties Kentucky. [Boston, Ky.]: W. Ennis, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 En62e
- [Estes] Alexander, Lucille Dillinger. The Estes Family of Virginia, Southern Kentucky, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas and Their Ancestor Families: Yates, Marshall, Stockton. Wayne, New Jersey: L. Alexander, 1990. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Garrison] Garrison, Vernon W. The Family of David Garrison and Elizabeth Taylor of Hamilton County, Illinois: A Working Paper. Houston, Texas: V.W. Garrison, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 G193gv.
- [Garrison] Garrison, Vernon W. The Family of Samuel Garrison and Martha Conley of Wayne County, Illinois: A Working Paper. Houston, Texas: V.W. Garrison, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 G193gvw.
- [Garrison] Garrison, Vernon W. James Garrison of White County, Illinois, Who Married Rachel Looper & Selah Pierce. Houston, Texas: V.W. Garrison, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 G193gvv.
- [Gates] Wall, Lilly Alice Gates et al. Autobiographies of Lillie Alice Gates Wall & William Henry Wall and Their Ancestors and Posterity. 2000. FHL Film 1425313 Item 10.
- [Gausnell] Gausnell, Patricia. Family History of Reuben Gausnell and Sylvia May Thompson. Roseburg, Ore.: P. Gausnell, 1984. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Goode] Goode, Cecil E. Kentucky Cousins: The Goode Family of Barren County, Kentucky and Related Families; Accounts of the Goode, Anderson, Baker, Cary, Combs, Cozzart, Jones, Mulkey, Sherfey, Starr, White and Wren Families. Glasgow, Ky.: C.E. Goode, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 G613gc.
- [Gorin] Gorin, Sandra K. John Gorin, 1763-1837. 3 vols. Glasgow, Ky.: S.K.L. Gorin, 1988-. FHL Book 929.273 G675g.
- [Gorin] Gorin, Sandra K. Henry Gorin, 1768-1838. 2 vols. Glasgow, Ky.: S.K. Gorin, 1989, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G672g.
- [Haley] Nelson, George H. Haley [ca. 1781-1961]. Microfilmed 1973: FHL Film 924842 Item 3.
- [Hall] Letters of James Hall, of Barren Co., Ky., Mainly to His Wife Prudence (Stockton) Hall, Whom He Had Married April 29, 1809: James Hall was Captain of a Company in 3rd Regiment, Ky. Detached Militia, During the War of 1812. MSS. FHL Film 467963 Item 3.
- [Hall] Conner, Henry Clay. The Life and Times of Leonard Hall. Indianapolis: H.C. Conner, Jr., 1981. FHL Book 921.73 H144c.
- [Hamilton] Simmons, Clyde Clayton. The Hamiltons and Allied Families. MSS., National Library D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 860456 Item 6.
- [Hamilton] Wall, Lilly Alice Gates et al. Autobiographies of Lillie Alice Gates Wall & William Henry Wall and Their Ancestors and Posterity. 2000. FHL Film 1425313 Item 10.
- [Harris] Harris, Martha Vilate DeLand and Roy Elmore Harris. Harris and DeLand Family Records, 1797-1955. 6 vols. 1955. FHL Film 1032952 etc..
- [Harris] Hoffman, Lela Harris. John Harris of Lincoln County, North Carolina: and His Descendants. Microfilmed 1981: FHL Film 1305161 Item 5.
- [Hatridge] Hatridge, Marilyn Jeanette Smith. Hatridge ... in the Beginning Hardwitch. Camden, Ark.: M.J.S. Hatridge, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 H286h.
- [Hicks] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. "Hicks Family of Goochland County, Virginia, and Barren County, Kentucky," Abstracts of Virginia Families: Vol. 1. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1597677 Item 12.
- [Holder] Reneau, Martha Powell. The Holder Family of Barren and Allen Counties, Kentucky. [Glasgow, Ky.]: M. Reneau, [1972?]. FHL Book 929.273 H711rm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Howell] Howell, Ted R. The De[s]cendants of James Howell and Martha Denny. DeSoto, Mo.: T.R. Howell, [1986?]. FHL Book 929.273 H839ht.
- [Jones] Button, Martha Jones et al. The Diary of Martha Jones Button; Her Journal of 1866-1872: The Life of a Girl of South Central Kentucky. Glasgow, Ky.: Gorin Genealogical Pub., 1993. FHL Book 921.73 B983g.
- [Kelsay] Kelsay, Carl G. Moses Kelsay, 1741-1812, of Barren County, Kentucky and Some of His Descendants. Typescript. Microfilmed 1976. FHL Book 929.273 K299Lk.
- [Lawrence] Moulder, Victor. Lawrence--Beckham Family History, Since 1701. 1938. FHL Film 1481375 Item 14.
- [Locke] Brooks, James P. The Biography of Eld. Jacob Locke of Barren County, Ky. Glasgow, Ky.: Times Print., 1881. FHL Film 1232.
- [McAdoo] Lemons, Nova A. John McAdoo of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. Dallas, Texas: N.A. Lemons, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 M115L.
- [Martin] Martin: Family Records, ca. 1755-1844. Microfilmed 1868: FHL Film 547078 Item 8.
- [Morehead] Morehead Revolutionary War Soldiers. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1481378 Item 3.
- [Moss] Moss, T.C. The David Moss Family: Green, Adair, Boyle, Barren, Hart, and Warren Co., Ky.; Williamson and Maury Co., Tenn.; Mississippi. Memphis, Tenn.: T.C. Moss, 1968. FHL Book 929.273 M855mo.
- [Murray] Miller, Gilbert L. and Sonia J. Murray. Murray - Davidson - Turner: A Family History: With Related Names, Anderson, Baird, Bridges, Cox, Donaldson, and Dunaway, Durning, Ellis, Glasgow, Gunn, Hammett, Lewelling - Lewallen [i.e. Luallen] - Lewallen, Miller, Mitchell, Moore, Stanton, Stephens, White and Whitwell ... MSS. Microfilmed 1982: FHL Film 1033847 Item 9.
- [Payne] Peden, Eva Coe and Martha Powell Reneau. My Payne Ancestors: Barren County. 1969? FHL Book 929.273 P293pec.
- [Peden] Peden, Henry C. The Pedens of Southwest Virginia and Southcentral Kentucky: Descendants of John Peden (1734-1815) and Mary Smith (1734-1806). Edgewood, Md.: H.C. Peden, Jr., 1978. Digital version at FHL Book 929.273 P341ph.
- [Pennington] Wilson, Duane Earl. Our Pennington Family: Being Some of the Descendants of Richard and Hannah (Boone) Pennington and Related Maternal Lines, Including the Morgan, Gist, Cromwell, Murray, Howard, Jarrett, Webb, Dame, Oyler, Arndt, and Ramsey Families. Naperville, Ill.: D.E. Wilson, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 P384w.
- [Perry] Perry, Cortes Lee. Ancestors and Descendants of Henry Thomas Perry, 1893-1950 and Pearl May Greenup, 1895-1983. Huntsville, Ala.: C.L. Perry, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 P429pc.
- [Pettypool] Hartsough, Carolyn S. "The William Pettypool Family of Southside Virginia: Lineage Reconstruction Based on Current Review of Evidence," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 47, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2003):57-75; Vol. 47, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2003):139-146. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Poynter] Poynter, Irma Lee and Harold Poynter. Poynter Cousins. Maysville, Mo.: I.L. and H. Poynter, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 P877pi.
- [Proctor] Fahrni, Margie Procter. Nathan Procter/Proctor and His Descendants 1786-1981. 1981. FHL Book 929.273 P942f.
- [Randel] Malone, Royleta Clopton. Moses Randel and His Descendants, 1776-2001: With Allied Lines of Horner, Broadaway, Whitwell, Hufstedler, Kelly, Dabbs and Others. Hemet, Calif.: R.C. Malone, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 R158m.
- [Reynolds] Reynolds, Barry. A Genealogy of the Joshua Reynolds Family. Lubbock, Texas: B. Reynolds, [1987?]. FHL Book 929.273 R335r.
- [Reynolds] Beals, Kathleen C. "Thomas Reynolds of King William County, Virginia, With Cotterell, Mitchell and Quarles Connections," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2002):29-36. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 46 (2002).
- [Short] Short, Donald Paul. The Prairie Shorts: Descendants of Thomas and Mary Hurt Short. Andover, Kan.: D. Short, 1995. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Skaggs] Johnson, Eddis. The Skaggs Family. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1502551 Item 8.
- [Stone] Calhoun, Logan E. John and Janetta Moore Stone of Fayette Co. Kentucky. Utica, Ky.: McDowell Publications, 2000. FHL Collection.
- [Turner] Martin, John Robert. Lile-Turner: Descendants of John Martin Lile (1795-1870) of Clark County, Kentucky and Macon County, Missouri. Morton, Ill., 1970. FHL Book 929.273 L627m.
- [Warriner] Mireles, Dana Ann. "Jacob Warriner, Sr., of Buckingham County, Virginia: His Children and His Parents," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):83-93. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Wheeler] Wheeler, Dennis. The Life and Times of William Wheeler & Nancy Puckett of Albemarle County, Virginia and Barren County, Kentucky Whose Descendants Came to Missouri: With a Genealogy of the Grandfather of William Wheeler, Micajah Wheeler of Albemarle County, Virginia. Jackson, Mo.: D. Wheeler, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 W569w; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Whitwell] Malone, Royleta Clopton. William Whitwell, His Ancestors and Descendants 1774-1994. Hemet, Calif.: R.C. Malone, 1994, 1998. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Wilkinson] Park, Imogene. The Wilkinson Family. 2009. FHL Collection.
- [Wilson] Jones, Frances Y. "Wilson/Yancey Connection in Barren County, Kentucky," Yancey Family Genealogical Records. Microfilmed 1995: FHL Film 1598294 Item 29.
- [Wright] Title, Barbara Dobbins. My Kentucky Wright-Helm Line: Including Jacob & Miriam Helm Wright, Joseph & Margaret Enoch Higdon, James D. & Rebecca Higdon Smith, Uberto and Susannah Jane Smith Wright, John Preston B. & Narcissa Wright McConnell and Descendants. Orange, Calif.: B.D. Title, 1996. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Yancey] Jones, Frances Y. "Wilson/Yancey Connection in Barren County, Kentucky," Yancey Family Genealogical Records. Microfilmed 1995: FHL Film 1598294 Item 29.
- [Yancey] Orr, Sarah Y. "Descendants of Robert and Jane Yancey of Barren Co., Kentucky," Yancey Family Genealogical Records. Microfilmed 1995: FHL Film 1598293 Item 32.
- [Yancey] Yancey, Dennis J. Yancey Family Genealogical Collection. 1995. FHL Film 1598378 Item 14.
- [Yancey] Yancey, Dennis J. "Joel Yancey (1773-1839) of Barren Co., Kentucky and Joel Yancey (1774-1833) of Bedford Co., Virginia," Yancey Family Genealogical Collection. 1995. FHL Film 1598378 Item 2.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Barren County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Detailed Map of Barren County Kentucky
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Barren County Kentucky Military Records
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Barren County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Barren County, Kentucky:
- - 1st Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, C, D, E and I.
- - 1st Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Wolford's Cavalry) (Union), Company E.
- - 37th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I and K.
- - 47th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies I and K.
- - 49th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, H and K.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Barren County Kentucky Glasgow Times Misc. Articles
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Barren County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Barren County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Barren County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1798-1943 - Will Books 1 to 8 (1798-1943) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Barren County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Barren County Kentucky Family Histories
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Barren County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Barren County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Barren County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1862 - Barren County Marriage Index 1852-1862. Batch M517051 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1878 - Barren County Marriage Index 1877-1878. Batch M517052 at FamilySearch - free.
- BARREN COUNTY, KY ARCHIVES DEATHS & OBITUARY TRANSCRIPTIONS INDEX
- Barren County, KY Births
- Barren County Kentucky Death Certificates
- Barren County Kentucky Marriage Records
- Barren Co, KY USGen Web Archives
- CensusDiggins.com, Barren Co, KY Death Certificates
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Barren County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Kentucky Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Barren County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Barren County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Barren County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Barren County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Barren, Kentucky page 268, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:46.
- This page has been accessed 42,309 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page