Barton Turf, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Barton Turf, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Barton Turf, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
BARTON-TURF (St. Michael), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk.  Barton Turf St Michael and All Angels is an Ancient parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Barton Turf, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Barton Turf, Norfolk Online Records|
||1840-1900 (Banns); 1841-1900||
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 187/ 1-7
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438866.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/BartonTurf.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Barton Turf on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 164-168. Date Accessed: 29 August 2013. http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50783#s7
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/barton-turf-st-michael/ for information about the parish.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk British History online
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-224343-church-of-st-michael-barton-turf British Listed buildingshttp://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/bartonturf/bartonturf.htm for images of the church Norfolk Churches website
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:47.
- This page has been accessed 2,153 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More