Bas-RhinEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
(add address here)
Bas-Rhin is one of the original 83 departments created on 4 March 1790, during the French Revolution.
In the mid-1790s, following the French occupation of the entire left bank of the Rhine, the northern boundary of the department was extended north beyond the Lauter to the Queich river to include the areas of Annweiler am Trifels, Landau in der Pfalz, Bad Bergzabern, and Worth am Rhein. However, upon Napoleon's second defeat in 1815, the Congress of Vienna reassigned the areas north of the Lauter to Bayern; and those territories are now presently located in the neighbouring German state of Rheinland-Pfalz.
The department has twice been incorporated into Germany: from 1871 (after France's defeat in the Franco-Prussian War) until the end of World War I in 1918, and again briefly during World War II (from 1940 to 1945).
- A chronology of those who ruled Lower Alsace from the 1st to the 20th century. (Chronologie de la Basse Alsace 1er - XXe siècle) WorldCat 222898250 FHL Book 944.3835 N2b
Civil Registration indexes are at canton level.
Parish and Civil Registration records are at commune level.
- Les Communautés juives du Bas-Rhin en 1851 FHL Book 944.3835 K3k
- Recueil des déclarations de prise de nom patronymique des Juifs du Bas-Rhin en 1808 FHL 944.3835 D4k (4 vols)
Collection of Jewish names for the area of Bas-Rhin in France before 1808
- Emigration und Nationalgüterveräusserungen im Pfälzischen Teil des Departements du Bas-Rhin FHL Book 943.43 R2m
The settlement of and purchase of government land by private individuals in the Pfalz region of Germany during the French occupation from 1791 to 1815
- Répertoire numérique détaillé de la série Q, domaines nationaux FHL Film 908803, book 944.3835 A5rn ser. Q
Numerical index to the departmental archives of the Bas-Rhin, series Q, national lands
- Les Bas-Rhinois dans les armées de la Révolution et du 1er Empire FHL Book 944.3835 M2L
- Registres militaires et tableaux de recensement, 1817-1856 FHL 50 rolls
A census of 19 and 20 year old males from the arrondisements of: Saverne, Sélestat, Strasbourg and Wissembourg
- Numerical index of the notarial archives of the former area of Basse- Alsace, now in the department of Bas-Rhin, France. Includes an index of notaries and clientele. (Répertoire numérique des archives notariales de Basse Alsace) FHL Film 962552 Item 2
- Directory of the Evangelical Lutheran clergy, parishes, communities, and schools of higher learning, 1525-1694. (Die evangeliche Gemeinden und Hohen Schulen in Elsass und Lothringen von der Reformation bis zur Gegenwart) FHL Film 1045340 Item 4, Book 943 B4b v. 16
- Register of the revenue and list of taxpayers for the bailliage of Uffried. (Registres des revenus du bailliage de l'Uffried, 1561) FHL Film 1165973 Item 2
Includes registers of Stattmatten, Dalhunden, Sessenheim, Rountzenheim, Roeschwoog, and Roppenheim.
Societies and Libraries
- Archives départementales du Bas-Rhin
English explanation of Archives site
French language Archives for Bas-Rhin
- Répertoire numérique de fonds de l'état civil (sous-séries II E, III E, IV E) FHL Film 962676 Item 4, book 944.3835 A5rn ser. 2E-4E
Numerical index to the departmental archives of the Bas-Rhin, sub-series 2E-4E, civil registration.
- Répertoire numérique de la série L (documents administratifs de la période révolutionnaire, 1790-An VIII) FHL Film 962651 Item 10, Book 944.3835 A5rn ser. L
Numerical index to the departmental archives of the Bas-Rhin, series L, administrative documents from the revolutionary period, 1790-1800
Family History Centers
|This France-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
- This page was last modified on 19 December 2012, at 05:44.
- This page has been accessed 1,564 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More