Basford, NottinghamshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Old+Basford St+Leodegarius +Nottinghamshire
|Poor Law Union||Basford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1627|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Nottinghamshire Record Office|
BASFORD (St. Leodgarius), a parish, and the head of a union, in the N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Nottingham. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Baptists.
Basford is an Ancient Parish which includes: Maperley, White Moor Place, Two-mile House, Sherwood, Bagnall, Mapperley, Daybrook, Bestwood, Bagthorpe, and Old Basford. The Ancient parish church of St Leodegarius has been designated a grade II* listed building St Leodegarius Wikipedia Church history
Basford may also refer to the subsequent parish formation within the Old Basford parish boundary:
New Basford St Augustine of Canterbury built in two phases in 1859 and 1877 Church history The church was demolished in 1989.
Other places in the parish include: Maperley, White Moor Place, Two-mile House, Sherwood, Bagnall, Mapperley, Daybrook, Bestwood, Bagthorpe, and Old Basford.
Emmanuel Church Bestwood ( sometimes known as Emmanuel Church Arnold) The church was dedicated in 1869 and is in Bestwood St Albans. The Emmanuel church has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building Church history
Bestwood St Mark built in Bestwood village and opened in 1887 Church history
Bestwood is the setting for Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence see also Bestwood Village Wikipedia
In 1905 the church of Basford St Aidan formed an Ecclesiastical parish in Basford from part of the Ancient Parish, built originally as a chapel of ease and dedicated as a parish church. St Aidan Basford Wikipedia Southwell and Nottingham Church History project Church history
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This area was from 1837 part of the Basford registration district
Basford, Nottinghamshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BASFORD PARISH Online Records|
Basford St Leodigarius
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1561-1920 Marriages 1568-1963 Burials 1561-1925
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Basford St Aidan Baptisms 1905-1946 Marriages 1910-1946
Bestwood Park Emmanuel Baptisms 1870-1938 Marriages 1873-1980 Burials 1870-1900
Bestwood Park St Mark Baptisms 1938-1967 Marriages 1946-1954
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Basford
Balham, Brenda: General Baptist Benevolent Society, High St. Old Basford. Gifts given and received March 1867-December 1876. A list of names of the folk receiving the cash gifts, by person who is named and the amount given. Surname Index at the back of the article. This list came from the Nottinghamshire Archives Ref BP 12/12, and transcribed by Brenda Balham. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Soc. Magazine, vol. 131, pages 18-85, Family History Library Ref. 942.52 D25n
Basford St. Leodegarius, an alphabetical listing of memorial inscriptions giving surname, given names, date of death, and age. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol. 64, page 3, FHL Ref 942.52 D25n, also Basford, St. Leodegarius Relief Cemetery, Alpine Street same as above, in vol. 57, page 15, FHL Ref. 942.52 D25n
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438904.
Transcribed by Bailey, Bryan. Letter Regarding Assisted Emigration from Basford to the Cape. Letter dated 24 November 1819, regarding funds for William Foulds or Fowles, John Hesom, and Francis Towlson with 5 children unnamed, Henry Sheppard his wife and 3 children, to be assisted to go to the Cape. Letter available at Nottinghamshire Archives Ref C/QA/CP 5/1/6/30, and transcription in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol. 107, page 57-59, FHL Ref 942.52 D25n
Transcribed by Bailey, Bryan, Certificates for Using Hair Powder Issued 1795-1978. For each Nottinghamshire Parish, gives the Cerificate no. date, surname, given name, and description. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol.127, page 1-38, Family History Library Ref. 942.52 D25n - the original is at Nottinghamshire Archives Ref QDT 1/1-4.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 21 August 2014, at 15:25.
- This page has been accessed 3,571 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki