Basingstoke, HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Basingstoke, Hampshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Basingstoke PLU|
|Parish registers: 1638|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1701|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
BASINGSTOKE (St. Michael), a municipal borough, a market-town, and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Basingstoke, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 18 miles (N. E.) from Winchester, and 45 (W. S. W.) from London, on the great western road..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Basingstoke parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BASINGSTOKE PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288792.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Lawes, Edward. Militia Records. Article lists Family allowances Paid to Volunteers of the Army of Reserve Serving at Basingstoke, Stockbridge. It lists the men, their wife's names, and some of the children's names and ages. This was taken from Exchequer Receiver's A/C's, Chancery Lane, E182/922 Part 2, 1804 Hants. Article is in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. vol. VIII,no.4 Feb 1982 pages 135-138, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Mackarill, Diana R. An Ordinary Family, The Paices of Basingstoke. The name Paice (Pace, Payse, Paise) is said to derive from Pascal or Pax. A small history of the family with pictures of Edmund and Emma Paice (nee Bulpitt) married in 1874, and another taken on their Golden Wedding day. in 1924. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. XVII, no. 1, May 1990, pages 26-31, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Albery, Alan. The Unreturning Prodigal: George Venn Wakeford. George Venn Wakeford, born 1799, one of Nathaniel and Jenny Wakeford's six children, whe went to Brazil in 1823. The author found letters written by George in amongst papers relation to Oakley Hall Estate, between Oakley and Dean 6 miles west of Basingstoke. George changed his surname to Wilson, while in Brazil. Article tells of family history of Wakefords and part of George's life. Article dating from 1767-1976, to be found in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. 32 part 4, March 2006, pages 291-294, FHL Ref 942.27 B2h
Benwell, R.G. From Basingstoke to Ballarat. The family tree of William Benwell who married Elizabeth Allee, in 1801, with their descendants showing family emigrating to Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, in 1949, and the children born in Australia. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. XX111, part 1, May 1996, page 49, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ Lewis, SAmuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 168-177. Date accessed: 21 June 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 24 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 8 October 2013.
- ↑ Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 5 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Years 1813 to 1837 index grooms only.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 30 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 16 September 2014, at 16:36.
- This page has been accessed 5,218 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki