Beccles, Suffolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Wangford|
|Parish registers: 1586|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
Beccles, is a town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Wangford district, Suffolk county. The town is on the river Waveney, and on the Eastern Counties railway, it is 8½ miles W of Lowestoft. The town has chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Methodists.
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries. For those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at LDS Family History Centres. Refer to Beccles and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalogue for available records.
Beccles was in Wangford district. To search an index of Wangford district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article provides more details about these records. Civil Registration began in 1837.
Beccles, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Beccles, Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
| This section requires expansion with:
Information about parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, parish chest records, non conformist and other types of church records. Also add links to online parish collections. Make reference to records found in the FamilySearch Catalog. To locate resources, look at Suffolk Parishes in the FamilySearch Catalogue.
The parish records of Beccles (St Michaels) are available on cd from the Suffolk Family History Society
Beccles Salvation Army registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Beccles Salvation Army Online Records|
- Beccles Cemetery Records Surname Index: Courtesy of the Waveny District Council
There are census records available for Beccles from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Beccles Censusin the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Suffolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date accessed: 16 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Baptism Index Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Suffolk "Early" Burial Index Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 6 December 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2015, at 16:53.
- This page has been accessed 3,751 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News