Benton County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Benton County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Benton County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1837|
|Address|| Benton County Courthouse|
111 E. 4th St.
P. O. Box 719
Vinton, IA 52349-1771
Phone: (319) 833-3012
Benton County Website
Benton County Courthouse
111 E. 4th St.
P. O. Box 719
Vinton, IA 52349-1771
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1853 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Belle Plaine
- Harrison Township
- Mt. Auburn
- Van Horne
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, El Dorado, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Benton County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- The history of Benton County, Iowa : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., a biographical directory of its citizens, war record of its volunteers in the late rebellion, general and local statistics, portraits of early settlers and prominent men, history of the Northwest, history of Iowa, map of Benton County, Constitution of the United States, miscellaneous matters &c. Chicago, Illinois : Western Historical Co., 1878.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Jones, Tracy. Notes from the 1878 "History of Benton County". Published by the Chicago Western Historical Company.
- Online at IAGenweb (Free)
Regiments. Service men in Benton County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Benton County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 5th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 8th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
- - 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 16th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company I
- - 18th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
- - 28th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies A and D
- - 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company C
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers and Waterloo newspapers that may have included Benton County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
- Digital Archives of The Belle Plaine Community Library's Link website has historical newspapers of Belle Plaine, Benton, Iowa. Publication tiles found: The Belle Plaine Union, Every Other Daily Union, South Benton Star Press, Star Press Union, The Belle Plaine Union and Herald, Lever, Independent, Fontanelie Observer, Preston Times, The Bedford Times Press. Years covered: 1883 - 2012. Link
- The Benton County Historical Society's Link website has historical newspapers of Venton, Benton, Iowa. Publication tiles found: The Vinton Eagle, Vinton Semi-Weekly Eagle, The Semi-Weekly Vinton Eagle. Years covered: 1855 - 1926. Link
- Vinton Review Newspaper - Nov 2014 Historical Board have approved to have it scanned and place online. It covers Jan 7, 1898 to Dec 27, 1917. The printing of it is so clear it looks like is ws published yesterday. It should be avilable in a month. Infomation from Matha Long
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Benton - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "benton county" placed in search box|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural insitutions - results of "benton county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "benton county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb Project||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Benton County, IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Benton County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 12 February 2015, at 17:27.
- This page has been accessed 7,692 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More