Bepton, SussexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bepton,Sussex family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Midhurst PLU|
|Parish registers: 1723|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1592|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Chichester|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
BEPTON, or BEBTON, a parish, in the union of Midhurst, hundred of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 2¾ miles (S. W.) from Midhurst.. Bepton St Mary is an Ancient parish in West Sussex about 3 miles from Midhurst. A history of the church may be found. See
The Parish Church of St Mary Bepton has been designated a grade I listed building.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 the history of civil registration can be found at Midhurst registration district
Certificates can be ordered from West Sussex Centralized Certificates Office
West Sussex Record Office
Phone: 01243 642122
Church records Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Bepton
A patron may access the parish registers online for this parish.
Bepton, Sussex parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|SOPC = Sussex Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Bepton, Sussex Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464156.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 210-214. Date accessed: 20 September 2013
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, A Vision of Britain through Time, (1870-72). Date accessed: 17 January 2014.
- ↑ British Government.,British listed building (1959), Date accessed: 17 January 2014
- ↑ Collins, Mark, et al., Online Parish Clerks(2004 - 2013). Date accessed: 17 January 2014.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 31 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 22 December 2013.
- ↑ Sussex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 7 January 2014.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 12 August 2014, at 20:56.
- This page has been accessed 1,558 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki